British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-02-17, 11:44 AM

Default Birmingham Pals Fake Badge?

Although I don’t usually comment on badges that are up for sale on ebay, there is one that has caught my eye here which concerns me. Firstly, it looks like this exact same badge has already been sold once on ebay, with the original listing being here. Secondly, it seems to me that it is a combination of an authentic Royal Warwicks antelope, to which has been added the “Royal Warwickshire” and “3rd Birmingham Battalion” scrolls of a recognised reproduction. To illustrate my point, below are examples of what I believe to be the two badges involved:

To me the ebay badge is clearly the antelope of the badge shown on the left in my photo, but where its original “Royal Warwickshire” scroll has been removed and replaced with those of the badge on the right, which I understand is a known reproduction; the lettering being the obvious give away in this respect. An ingenious adaptation when you think about it. I do not know if the seller is aware if this, as he simply lists his badge as a “Royal Warwickshire Regt, 3rd Birmingham Bn. Cap Badge”, and describes it as a “bi-metal badge in a good used condition”, which it obviously is. In my personally opinion, however, it is not a genuine Birmingham Pals cap badge from the Great War, though I would be happy to be corrected on this. I wonder what other Forum members might think?

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”
Old 05-02-17, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

The first buyer's a dealer who has realised his mistake and sent it back by the look of things.
Old 05-02-17, 05:24 PM

Default Royal Warwicks ebay fake

Hello Alan

Thank you for your posting. You may well be right about a dealer having previously bought the badge, before returning it to the seller upon physically examining it and discovering it wasn’t what they thought it was! I am personally convinced the badge in question is not an authentic Birmingham Pals badge, so I hope whoever ends up buying this doesn’t spend too much on it. It is certainly an interesting departure from the standard reproductions of this kind of badge that abound, though also somewhat worrying as to the length some will obviously now go to with regards to faking cap badges.

Regards

Martin

Old 05-02-17, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Martin

I think you are right and someone has cut-and-shut a genuine badge with pals fake scroll. Inevitable once the bear/diamond/hairy back tells became so well known.

Alan
Old 05-02-17, 06:54 PM

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
The first buyer's a dealer who has realised his mistake and sent it back by the look of things.
Old 07-02-17, 03:20 PM

Default Fake Birmingham Pals Badge on ebay

Well it seems the badge re-sold for a modest £8.50, which, for what it is, is much more reasonable than the £40.99 it went for the first time ’round. I take your point Alan, about how because the features of the genuine Pals’ badges have become more widely known, it is perhaps inevitable that someone will try and make up a badge to reflect this. At least in this instance they didn’t use an actual Pals’ style antelope, which, as you’ll know, do crop up fairly regularly as a normal OR’s badge. For the time being, of course, the only scrolls available are reproduction ones, so even if someone did venture to make up another fake Pals’ badge using the right kind of antelope, then the lettering on the scrolls would, thankfully, still be a dead give away!

Regards

Martin

Old 09-02-17, 07:52 PM

The most heinous example yet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Warw...0AAOSwzaJX-2k2

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 09-02-17, 08:20 PM

WOW, now thats a horrendous FAKE
Andy
Old 10-02-17, 04:54 PM

Here's another humdinger - not so much a gap filler as a crow scarer:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3223935030...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Tags
birmingham pals, fake, royal warwicks, royal warwickshire