British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-03-16, 04:51 PM

Smile 2nd Leicestershire

Hi all,

Here are some close ups of a photograph of 2nd battalion Leicestershire Regiment soldiers being hoisted over the side in a basket to a small cutter from the deck of SS Cymric in 1900 to fight in the Boer War.

There is distinctive curved Leicestershire cloth pagri badge present on both sides of their foreign service helmets. The soldier with the slouch hat has a the same cloth pagri badge. I presume he is with a mounted contingent as was formed from each infantry company.

They are not wearing collar badges or shoulder titles as far as I can tell.

It is a really interesting picture. Look at their cheery dispositions and reflect on the deprivations they would soon endure.

On another pic their packs have stenciled 2. Leicesters across the top.

In another soldiers of the Gloster's are recognisable from back badges to their foreign service helmets.

My great grandfather Harry Morley died of wounds from shelling with the 2nd Leicesters in 1915.

The SS Cymric was a White Star passenger and cargo ship built in 1898 and was sunk in 1916 where the Lusitania was and by the same German submarine 12 months earlier.

Cheers Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6483.jpg (54.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6484.jpg (56.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender (4).jpg (74.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6486.jpg (35.9 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by mooke07; 20-03-16 at 04:57 PM.
Old 20-03-16, 05:50 PM

A good period image, their second battalion did not serve in South Africa during the Anglo Boer War, from memory, they were actually in Ireland before leaving for Egypt in 1900, their first battalion did, of course, they had actually been up in Glencoe a little after the "teatime" war was declared.
The flash started out life, in effect, like those for the most of the Army, they were simply embroidered shoulder straps from the scarlet Home Service Full Dress tunics, collar badges would not have been worn on khaki drill foreign service by rank and file, but, brass shoulder titles almost always were and I would say most of these men are wearing them.
Interestingly, rank and file Victorian made collar badges used to turn up by the bucket full in South Africa, I have often wondered why that was, although, the garrison was not actually withdrawn until 1914 and almost the whole army spent time there during those years, after Vereeniging.

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 20-03-16 at 06:01 PM.
Old 20-03-16, 06:33 PM

Hi Frank,

School boy error to have trusted the original eB listing as Boar War. 2nd Leicesters did not serve in SA during 2nd Boar War but individuals were in the mounted contingent.

The following link has a pic of mounted contingent wearing foreign service helmets plus roll-of-honour for 1st batt.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Leices...esterBoer.html

i like you now presume embarkation in Egypt. More research to be done.

Rest of pics in series are of troops marching along the dock etc and all labelled as SA. Here is a link to some of them.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=SS...HfneDZ8QsAQIJA

The SS Cymric made two trips to SA to deliver troops and horses.

i will have to wait until I am home to look more closely for shoulder titles.

cheers Dean

Last edited by mooke07; 20-03-16 at 06:43 PM.
Old 21-03-16, 08:06 AM

Hello Dean,
It is "Boer" but, quite frankly, like many others, these men were still actually serving in the Anglo Boer War, it is only wrong if the listing states 2nd Battalion actually embarking/disembarking for/in South Africa.
The regiment did well in Natal, the famous photograph you mention, is actually their MI detachment returning to Ladysmith from Dundee, after the engagement there on the 20th of October 1899, Sir George White dispatched a force to cover James Yule's men and ensure their safe return, they looked worn out.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Hi Frank,

School boy error to have trusted the original eB listing as Boar War. 2nd Leicesters did not serve in SA during 2nd Boar War but individuals were in the mounted contingent.

The following link has a pic of mounted contingent wearing foreign service helmets plus roll-of-honour for 1st batt.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Leices...esterBoer.html

i like you now presume embarkation in Egypt. More research to be done.

Rest of pics in series are of troops marching along the dock etc and all labelled as SA. Here is a link to some of them.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=SS...HfneDZ8QsAQIJA

The SS Cymric made two trips to SA to deliver troops and horses.

i will have to wait until I am home to look more closely for shoulder titles.

cheers Dean

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 21-03-16 at 08:30 AM.
Old 22-03-16, 08:48 PM

Hi Frank,

I have found a London Times entry for Feb 1900 on line for 2/Leicestershire embarkation for Egypt.

The Dunera arrived at Queenstown Tuesday. She embarked, yesterday, 8 officers, 2 warrant officers, and 830 men, and women and children of the 2/Leicestershire Regiment for duty in Egypt.

The other pictures in the series have the 2 Gloucesters who show up as being embarked for Cape Town in January 1900 from the SS Cymric. So I think the 2/Leicesters were on the SS Cymric then changed ship to the Dunera and sailed on to Egypt?

I think the Leicestershire Regiment mounted company trooper with slouch hat was certainly bound for South Africa.

More to work out for sure, cheers Dean.

Tags
boer war, leicestershire