British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-03-15, 03:39 PM

Interesting.

I have a mould of that plate too with exactly the same blemishes on the leaves.

Either it came from that plate or the plate came from this one.

Wondered what it was as there was no identification on the mould other than it's mould number. Doesn't fit in with the published description of a RR Lancer's or the other 2 examples I've seen.

Last edited by Neibelungen; 10-03-15 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added new comment
Old 10-03-15, 04:36 PM

The published picture in KK 1126 is a Foreign Service Helmet plate and is described as such on page 288
Cheers
Malc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neibelungen View Post
Interesting.

I have a mould of that plate too with exactly the same blemishes on the leaves.

Either it came from that plate or the plate came from this one.

Wondered what it was as there was no identification on the mould other than it's mould number. Doesn't fit in with the published description of a RR Lancer's or the other 2 examples I've seen.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 10-03-15, 05:21 PM

I was under the impression that the RR lancer cap plate for officer's was described in a special order published in 1900 as being the Royal arms upon crossed lances, above RR, above a scroll "Lancers", with silver laurel wreath to either side.

Certainly Rowe and Kipling (at the bottom of P286) describe it as such. The badges illustrated on P287 match the field cap and home service helmet patterns described.

I've inspected a plate sold by Bosley's matching the above description (and which is composed of genuine parts, though it does shows some repairs and some joins in the laurel leaves), and likewise have a slightly different mould matching the description in my collection too. (which differs in having a heavier laurel leaf pattern to similar a Norfolk Imperial Yeomanry plate and a more 'blocky' RR device as well as tails to the 'Lancers' scroll)

Last edited by Neibelungen; 10-03-15 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added more description to text
Old 10-03-15, 05:53 PM

It is a pity that both do not show a picture of an Officers plate for the Reserve Regiment of Lancers but as it was Dixon who identified it and also surplied me with the picture of it on a chapska I will refer to it as such.

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 11-03-15, 08:06 AM

Default Plates

Another plate to examine good to Know Neibelungen is on the case with his vast collection and knowledge always a help certainly helped me a few times.
These Czapka plates are such a minefield, but with all these threads and information starting to get a little wiser. I have sent 2 back to auction houses in the last 3 months both 17th OR,S PLATES 1905.and a 5th Irish Czapka on ebay.
I see on ebay another 17th Officers Czapka has come up certainly had work done on it and the plate looks well dodgy wont be getting that.

Can we see a picture of the Norfolk plate?

Rgs Mac
Old 12-03-15, 11:09 AM

Post 9 picture 4 is the Norfolk Imperial Yeomanry.

Once you remove the scroll, you have exactly the same fittings mounted onto a lancer back plate.

The two RR plates I've seen used elements from other lancer plates. eg, Arms from a 16th lancer and a 21st (1st pattern from memory.. I'll edit when I have a chance to examine ) with leaf elements from other plates .

It might be that the plates made to the official description were composits from others, though I think real archive work might be required to shed any definitive light as to evidence of a regimental specification or sealed patterning.