British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-12-18, 12:06 PM

Default NORWICH RELATED BADGE

For members interest.

I have this badge awarded to members of Norwich Special Constabulary who guarded the route for the visit of Queen Alexandra to Norwich on the 12th October 1918 when she unveiled the memorial to nurse Edith Cavell.

An original letter sent to one of the participants outlining its award, with an example of the badge, can be viewed at:

https://norfolkinworldwar1.org/tag/eaton-collection/

Kind regards, DS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SP BADGE.jpg (77.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 22-12-18, 12:40 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

A great badge and a fascinating article. Many thanks for posting.
Cheers
James
Old 22-12-18, 03:57 PM

Thanks for this
Old 22-12-18, 04:48 PM

Such a shame that the badge does not have anything on it which would give a more obvious clue as to what it relates to. Anyone finding one would almost certainly have it lying in their "unknown" box from now till the end of time!

Dave.
Old 22-12-18, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the replies. Glad you liked it.

The Eaton archive is held by the city of norwich. I have no doubt to the validity of the material. Thanks to its preservation the purpose of this badge is now known. The supporting letter which accompanies the piece is quite detailed. With this to hand the letter "A" and "1918" within the design have relevance. However, I agree with Dave. Without the preservation of this scrap of paper it would have remained unattributed, to me at least.

Kind regards, Malcolm.
Old 16-05-19, 09:35 AM

Default Thanks for the info!

MJW- great post- lovely picture of the badge! Also a good story of the Specials great work and they did it hard for little recognition.

If ever you see one of these badges for sale- let me know as I would like to acquire one fr my collection.

Dave
Old 16-05-19, 04:02 PM

Hello Dave.

I would not like to hazard a guess at how many of these badges were manufactured, but I imagine it was not a large issue. The City purse strings have always been tight!

Apart from the one example in the Norwich Forum collection, mine is only the second survivor I am aware of. Nobody I know has an example, so I think the hunt might be prolonged. However, perhaps like mine, there are others lurking about amongst dealers stock, unattributed - if they have not already seen this thread!

Kind regards, Malcolm.