British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-03-15, 01:46 PM

Default Norfolk Yeomanry Collar?

Does anyone know if this Edward VII cypher badge is a Norfolk Yeomanry collar badge please?

It's brass, aprox 38mm, the cypher is beaded and it has 3 lugs. It appears identical, other than size, to a Norfolk Yeomanry cap badge.

Did Norfolk Yeo wear a smaller version of the cap badge as a collar badge? I know that the original collar badges were the royal arms pattern, perhaps the arms badges were worn by the Norfolk Imperial Yeo 1902-1908 and the cypher badges by the Norfolk Yeo 1908-1910?

Alternatively, perhaps the badge could be MPSC or Colonial?

Any info/comments much appreciated.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0010.JPG (49.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0013.JPG (53.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by davidwyke; 26-03-15 at 02:35 PM.
Old 26-03-15, 02:05 PM

David,

I can tell you it's not a Norfolk Imperial Yeomanry collar as this was The Royal Arms and Scroll as mentioned. With three loops it looks like a pouch badge. Beyond that I can not help.
Old 26-03-15, 08:23 PM

If not Norfolk Yeomanry, how does Royal Canadian Dragoons sound?

David
Old 26-03-15, 08:33 PM

Ask Norfolk rgt man , he has an officers Norfolk yeo tunic with this syle of badge on the collar
I am not sure of exact period or whether it is a frock coat or patrol jacket but seem to remember it had a tall straight yellow collar
the cypher was also worn on the shoulder chains but he may be able to help you with exact size and design . Kev
Old 26-03-15, 08:53 PM

According to "The Uniforms of the British Yeomanry Force 1794-1914, 12: The Yeomanry Cavalry of Norfolk" a similar cypher was worn on the collar of the frockcoat by officers and the bandmaster between 1906 and 1910.

Wether that is what you have, I don't know.
Old 27-03-15, 01:21 AM

Default NY collar

These cypher/ cipher badges are a problem as not only were they worn by The Norfolk Yeomanry but by Army Schoolmasters, Barrack Wardens, Military Provost Staff Corps, and as part of Aides-de-camp insignia. I suspect that all were inter-changeable.

Stephen.

PS I've included both spellings (cypher/ cipher ) to facilitate subsequent on-line searches.
Old 27-03-15, 05:52 PM

Hi Chaps

Many thanks for the reponses, much appreciated!

I had considered pouch badge but thought it was a bit on the small side, likewise the badges worn on shoulder chains - those I've seen identified as such seem to be closer to the cap badge size.

It's more likely to be an O/R's badge rather than Officers, being brass, but of course it could be the O/R's version of the collar badge being worn by Officers.

It's easy to label these cypher badges as Norfolk Yeomanry but, as Stephen rightly points out, similar badges were worn by various units and no doubt overseas and non-military also.

Looks like the "?" will have to remain for the time being.

David