British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-09-14, 12:25 PM

Default Prince Albert's SLI osd collar 1902

I got it in a boot sale today in west wales. Collar badge in bronze, n & S lugs, cap badge sized example, circa 1902 onward.

Jerry
Old 13-09-14, 01:57 PM

Hello Jerry,
I don't see any issues with it, a very nice piece with some age to it, I'm often surprised by what can be found at such places, in particular, in folks jewellery cases, sometimes, even the odd silver cap badge.
Regards Frank
Old 13-09-14, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Jerry,
I don't see any issues with it, a very nice piece with some age to it, I'm often surprised by what can be found at such places, in particular, in folks jewellery cases, sometimes, even the odd silver cap badge.
Regards Frank
Thanks Frank. I have no doubts it is a period original. Not really my collecting interest but it was there and it is always nice to buy something and of course the price seemed sensible.

Jerry
Old 13-09-14, 04:38 PM

No sign of the other one then?
Old 13-09-14, 04:39 PM

Quote:
No sign of the other one then?
Sadly not Frank and none of the cap badge either.

Jerry
Old 13-09-14, 05:00 PM

Hello Jerry,
It does make you wonder how these things find there way into these places, but, I've had some super things from car boot sales in the past, sadly, I don't get to visit very many these days.

My best car boot find would be a seemingly humble Great War pair to the Manchester Regt, the seller thought that they were on the money and included a copy of the index card from WO372, but, they had not checked for papers in WO363.
No battalion shown on the MIC, but, he turned out to be 16th Battalion, one of Wilfrith Elstob's lads, posted missing on the 21st of March 1918 at Manchester Hill after the tragic fight, but had survived as a POW at Stendal.
Elstob grew up in my part of Cheshire and is still a bloody hero around here and I think of all his men with the same high regard too.

So always have a good look at these places, you really never know what you will find,
Kind regards Frank
Old 13-09-14, 05:13 PM

I rarely get to many boot sales Frank, mostly I have a circuit of local antique shops I visit every few weeks. They have the usual mix of overpriced, on the money and sometimes bargain priced items. The boot sale from today is one I go to every now and then but usually it is later in the day and there is not much to be found, today I got out a bit earlier and found the collar, also I bought a book, Whicker's war for a pound, so not too bad.

Jerry
Old 13-09-14, 05:16 PM

Hello Jerry,
Alan Wicker was such a nice fellow, a very interesting man to be sure, I wish I could have known him!
Regards Frank
Old 13-09-14, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Hello Jerry,
Alan Wicker was such a nice fellow, a very interesting man to be sure, I wish I could have known him!
Regards Frank
They produced his story from WWII as a documentary on which the book is based (or the other way round), the program was very good and I hope the book will be the same. As you mention Frank, he did seem to be an interesting bloke and would have been good for a chat.

Jerry

Tags
prince albert's s l i