British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > The Australian General Service Badge (Rising Sun)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-11, 10:59 PM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

G'day Tony

Thanks for that, also I can probably let you have Aussie popoies if you need them as l have a good contact with the local RSL.

Its good to know that you are prepared to go these lengths for an "unknown warrior".

Thanks

Phil.
Old 06-02-11, 11:22 PM

Phil,
these lengths are as nothing when you consider the sacrifice this unknown warrior gave .
Thanks for your offer, will take you up on that as I say already have one for this year but as for next year???
Sorry you lost me what is the RSL?
Will PM you my details.
Best regards Tony.
Old 08-02-11, 01:25 AM

Smile

D'day Tony

Re RSL, read British Legion. It was origonally the Returned Soldiers, Sailors and Airmans Imperial League of Australia, quite a mouth full, however it is now the Returned and Services League. They have a very nice club rooms and museum at the next town to me about 5 mins away in the car. We have an ANZAC Day march and service there each year followed by drinks eats and two up. We get about 1000 people at the service. The whole town stops and the police stop the traffic so that the march can cross the Highway.

There is also a Remembrance Day service at the War Memorial in Belgrave on 11 Novenber, we do them both but 11/11 is a much smaller function.

The local sub branch (official designation) is about to receive a Leopad tank to go in the grounds out side the museum. Hows that.

All for now

Cheers

Phil.
Old 25-04-11, 03:10 PM

Default ANZAC Day

Today 25/4/11 being ANZAC day I was able to place a Poppy and an ANZAC Day badge in rememberance of Pte E E Priestly, this due to the kind efforts of Phil (Lancer 17).
One thing I noticed is the fact that the inscription on the headstone as been corrected since my last visitin November,as the initials were incorrectly carved as E R Priestly.
I assume this was brought to light by his family in Oz?
here a few pictures.
Regards Tony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (96.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (97.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (96.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (99.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 26-04-11, 08:24 AM

Smile ANZAC Day

Thanks Tony , well done, your are a good man.

I marched my fathers medals at Upwey ( an outer Eastern suburb of Melbourne) and attended the memorial service at the RSL sub branch.

My daughter who works in London has gone to Gallopali for ANZAC day and I am very Proud of her. It shows that the young people still respect our heritage and the sacrafice of others. I hope to get some photos from her after she gets back to London after going to Egypt for 10 days on the way back to London.

Thanks to all those who have placed posts re ANZAC day, it seems to be going global.

Lest We Forget.

Cheers

Phil.