British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-03-13, 02:00 PM

A picture is worth a thousand words Clive!

Cheers!
Old 26-03-13, 02:22 PM

Although not conclusive here is a photo of two Airforce types wearing both the jump and pilot wings. If they are attached to the SSF when everyone was wearing them, would they be entitled to wear them on the smock??

Old 26-03-13, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jranrose, Do you have the dates on these photos?
Old 26-03-13, 03:03 PM

To state the obvious, the picture has to predate 1995 because the General is still wearing his OSONS flash. And it quite possibly could predate 1982 since it looks like summer and no one is wearing tan DEU’s!

Last edited by cw2311; 26-03-13 at 03:19 PM.
Old 26-03-13, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

I am looking for the specific date on the photos. The lack of epaulets on the CF greens indicates pre 1986. The tan DEU's were not issued until 1986.
Old 26-03-13, 03:22 PM

Default Convoluted Thread

This thread is getting muddled as the discussion is about badging for the camouflaged parachute smock. The regulations reguarding badges worn on SAR Tech uniforms and CF/DEU uniforms were different from the parachute smock. Nice photographs, but they really do not apply to this discussion.

The most obvious difference between the old CF uniform and the newer Army DEU uniform is that the Army DEU uniform has shoulder straps. The summer tan Army DEU uniform was in use for just over 10 years.

This photograph probably predates DEU as the Airforce Officers are still in CF green and not wearing Airforce blue.

I would be very interested to see a copy of SSF Dress Regulations concerning the wearing of Canadian and Foreign Hazardous Skill badges on the parachute smock.
Old 26-03-13, 03:22 PM

I hope the picture shows up but here’s a picture of a smock badged up to a Rigger. Please see the Para wing placement.

Cheers!

This photograph is from Edstory’s collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ParachutistSmockDisruptivePattern-f.jpg (61.5 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by cw2311; 30-03-13 at 08:02 PM.
Old 26-03-13, 03:55 PM

Default Wing Placement and Images

I am very familiar with the wing placement on the garment in the image you have provided as, I CURRENTLY OWN THAT SMOCK!!!

If anyone wonders why I now watermark my name across images I post on line, this is a classic case of people lifting images off of internet postings, passing them around and having no idea where they originated or who posted the image. All of that aside, this smock came from the CFMD in Trenton in the late 1990s and quite possibly they had different dress regulations then the SSF who had been disbanded by the time I obtained this garment.

What I was hoping is that someone could actually provide an example from SSF dress regulations on the placement of badges.
Old 26-03-13, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Does anyone have the information requested earlier in this thread? About 427 Sqn dress regs and jump smocks?
It is difficult to split this off, but the focus should be on the SSF smocks and wings.
(Ed I totally sympathize re images. In my research I have contacted many regimental museums. One from out west sent me back an image of shoulder titles. Interesting thing, the image had been harvested, likely from another Forum we frequent, and I got back a picture from my collection that I had posted earlier. More disturbing was that the Forum had credited my image, but the museum didn't.)
Old 26-03-13, 04:20 PM

Regarding riggers.
I seem to recall about 1990, riggers wore the earlier rigger badge on the wearer's left shoulder of the SSF smock.
More recently, I have seen riggers wearing the new rigger badge on the left breast of the DEU tunic. For some reason, I don't think they wear a jump wing. Correct me if I am wrong on that point. A rigger must have the basic para course, so to wear both badges is redundant.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 26-03-13, 04:57 PM

The wear of two wings on DEU is well-known and not unusual and amply covered in dress regs. What I am waiting for is photographic proof of the wear of the para wings on the sleeve. Although Ed's smock is nice I am still waiting for a contemporary photo of it in actual wear, either on the smock or the jump suit.
C

Edit - Missed the photo of the SAR somehow! This is certainly a first for me. Now show me a photo of the smock with the Cdn para wings on the sleeve.

Last edited by servicepub; 26-03-13 at 05:56 PM.
Old 26-03-13, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
I am very familiar with the wing placement on the garment in the image you have provided as, I CURRENTLY OWN THAT SMOCK!!!

If anyone wonders why I now watermark my name across images I post on line, this is a classic case of people lifting images off of internet postings, passing them around and having no idea where they originated or who posted the image. All of that aside, this smock came from the CFMD in Trenton in the late 1990s and quite possibly they had different dress regulations then the SSF who had been disbanded by the time I obtained this garment.

What I was hoping is that someone could actually provide an example from SSF dress regulations on the placement of badges.

Edstorey,

I was only trying to find an example to support this string of posts since I don’t have the old dress regulations at my finger tips. There was no malicious intent meant by posting an internet picture.
Old 26-03-13, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
Regarding riggers.
I seem to recall about 1990, riggers wore the earlier rigger badge on the wearer's left shoulder of the SSF smock.
More recently, I have seen riggers wearing the new rigger badge on the left breast of the DEU tunic. For some reason, I don't think they wear a jump wing. Correct me if I am wrong on that point. A rigger must have the basic para course, so to wear both badges is redundant.

Phil

Once again, I don’t have the regulations at my fingertips; however, currently Riggers wear their ‘Rigger Wing’ where you would normally see a jump wing on their DEU's and their actual jump wing qualification on the breast pocket as shown in the picture above provided by jranrose.

Cheers

Last edited by cw2311; 26-03-13 at 05:52 PM.
Old 26-03-13, 06:08 PM

Last edited by jranrose; 30-09-14 at 07:24 PM.
Old 26-03-13, 06:45 PM

Well, CFP265 seems to give the authority (to Air Force pers) to wear the Cdn basic para badge on the sleeve when in flying clothing. I can see where this would be translated to provide similar authority for other uniforms.
There are former Army RSM jumpers spinning in their graves.

Last edited by servicepub; 26-03-13 at 07:00 PM.