British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-07-10, 08:46 PM

Default 1st Burma Division

Hi, A relative of mine was killed whilst fighting with the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers in Burma in 1942. At the time the Regiment was part of 1st Burma Division. I was wondering if any forum member could tell me what he might have looked like, badge wise. Any help very much appreciated.

Conor
Old 16-07-10, 04:19 PM

Default 1st. Burma Div.

Connor, I have googled the 1st. Burma Div. and it appears that the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers were part of the 63rd. Indian Infantry Brigade under command 17th. Indian Div. The sign of the 17th. Indian Div.is a black cat standing sideways on a karki background. At the moment I cannot find the formation sign for the 63rd. Indian Infantry Brigade.You will find a wealth of info. on Google. John.
Old 17-07-10, 08:21 PM

Hi John, Thank you for the reply but I think you might be wrong on this one. I have the Regimental history and they flew into Burma to join the 1st Burma Division. If anyone has a copy of the 1st Burma Division formation patch I would love to see it.

Regards

Conor
Old 17-07-10, 08:42 PM

This is interesting, but!

http://www.rothwell.force9.co.uk/bur...maDivision.htm
Old 17-07-10, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintconor View Post
Hi John, Thank you for the reply but I think you might be wrong on this one. I have the Regimental history and they flew into Burma to join the 1st Burma Division. If anyone has a copy of the 1st Burma Division formation patch I would love to see it.

Regards

Conor
That is correct, the Inniskillings had been based in India since about 1938, and flew to Burma after the Japanese invaded.

I once did some work on two brothers who were British army officers and killed in WW2. One was killed at Monte Cassino in the North Irish Horse and the other was in the 1st Inniskillings and died in Burma in April 1942.

Coming from County Cork they could have sat out the war and lived to an old age.
Old 18-07-10, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
The Skins were not under the command of 1st Burma Division at this point. They were still in India, Wellington I think. Only when they deployed to Burma in March 1942 did they join 1st Burma Division.

Regards

Conor
Old 18-07-10, 09:56 AM

Sorry to write this, I have not been able to find any badge for your 1st Burma Division.

However someone else may find one.

Last edited by 54Bty; 18-07-10 at 10:17 AM.
Old 18-07-10, 10:39 AM

Default 1st. Burma Div.

I have been back into Google and on page two of the answers to my query about the 1st. Burma Div you will find at the top of the page The Burma star site. Click on this and the answer to your Query is there. The badge was an Indian Tulvar in white in a clenched brown hand on a dark green circle. On arriving in India after the retreat out of Burma they became the 39 Indian div.which wore the same formation sign.Hope this helps. John.
Old 18-07-10, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Sorry to write this, I have not been able to find any badge for your 1st Burma Division.

However someone else may find one.
And they have, I must lean to read the text to the pictures, page 83 of Formation Badges of WW2 by Howard Cole.
Old 18-07-10, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the interest folks. I now know what the badge looks like thanks to your help.

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/1stburma.htm

Conor
Old 18-07-10, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintconor View Post
Thanks for the interest folks. I now know what the badge looks like thanks to your help.

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/1stburma.htm

Conor
I like the fact that the relatives of ex members of the unit are trying to find out more about the service of their father/grandfather etc:

http://www.burmastar.org.uk/inniskillin.htm
Old 18-11-10, 07:44 PM

Default 1st Burdiv

The book Burma 1942 The Japanese Invasion mentions (p231) the transfer of the 1st Inniskillings from the 17th Indian to the 1 Burdiv in a reorganization by Slim. Although a date is not given, it appears to have happened in the
1st half of April, 1942. The book's cover also has a formation badge of the 1 Burdiv.