British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-05-15, 11:56 PM

Default 1915 Canadian Lt Colonel Militia uniform

Hello Everyone---I recently got this uniform and know very little about Canadian World War One uniforms. The uniform is named to W.H. Latimer. The buttons are Militia I believe. Does anyone know what the patch is ? How would I find out more on Latimer and what is this worth ? Uniform is dated 1915. Thanks for any help---Blue Skies Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 May 12 uniform #1.jpg (19.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 1 May 12 uniform #2.jpg (23.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 1 May 12 uniform #3.jpg (23.9 KB, 55 views)
Old 23-05-15, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Hi 1st Sgt, I can't read the tag. Could you post a close up image?
It appears the patch is only on one sleeve? The 4 (Canadian) Division wore a patch like the one on your tunic, but the devices below the patch are not typically Canadian.
Some British formation signs were made with a system of brigade signs similar to this.
Old 23-05-15, 01:16 AM

There was a William Henry Latimer Jr. enlisting as a Captain in the 124th Bn. CEF on Dec. 9th 1915.......could this be him ?????
Jo
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/fra/decouvr...&Ecopy=455188a

124th Bn.CEF:
The 124th (Governor General's Body Guard) Battalion, CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. Based in Toronto, Ontario, the unit began recruiting in late 1915 in that city. After sailing to England in August 1916, the battalion was redesignated the 124th Pioneer Battalion, CEF.

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 23-05-15, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi 1st Sgt, I can't read the tag. Could you post a close up image?
It appears the patch is only on one sleeve? The 4 (Canadian) Division wore a patch like the one on your tunic, but the devices below the patch are not typically Canadian.
Some British formation signs were made with a system of brigade signs similar to this.
Hello Bill---the tag reads--W.H.Latimer----March 30 1915---Beauchamp & How LTD--97 King St.W. Toronto

I have two other uniforms from the same man--one blue & one red both for the South Alberta Light Horse--button motto SEMPER ALACER (ALWAYS ALERT) I was told that the red uniform is from 1905--1920.One patch has been removed. Does anyone know a value of these uniforms ? Blue Skies Mark
Old 23-05-15, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
There was a William Henry Latimer Jr. enlisting as a Captain in the 124th Bn. CEF on Dec. 9th 1915.......could this be him ?????
Jo
http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/fra/decouvr...&Ecopy=455188a

124th Bn.CEF:
The 124th (Governor General's Body Guard) Battalion, CEF was a unit in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War. Based in Toronto, Ontario, the unit began recruiting in late 1915 in that city. After sailing to England in August 1916, the battalion was redesignated the 124th Pioneer Battalion, CEF.
Hello---This might be the guy as the red coat is marked to the 15th Light Horse (South Alberta Light Horse) the coat is from 1905 to 1920. So He may have changed Units-The coat was made in Toronto--Thanks for the input---Blue Skies Mark
Old 23-05-15, 06:09 PM

Hi Mark....I'll go on limb here in saying that the value of such a uniform is based IMHO on the history of who wore this uniform,second his history...did he go overseas...was he in some kind of action.......as such your uniform is worth the amount some collectors are willing to pay.......and lastly the story behind the patch on the sleeve.....
I think you could apply here the 5 W...and H.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 23-05-15, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Sgt USAF View Post
Hello---This might be the guy as the red coat is marked to the 15th Light Horse (South Alberta Light Horse) the coat is from 1905 to 1920. So He may have changed Units-The coat was made in Toronto--Thanks for the input---Blue Skies Mark
Jo's link shows that your man had prior service in the 15th Light Horse and Mississauga Horse.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 23-05-15, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
Hi Mark....I'll go on limb here in saying that the value of such a uniform is based IMHO on the history of who wore this uniform,second his history...did he go overseas...was he in some kind of action.......as such your uniform is worth the amount some collectors are willing to pay.......and lastly the story behind the patch on the sleeve.....
I think you could apply here the 5 W...and H.

Jo
Hello Jo---all I am looking for is a ball park figure, in your opinion, on the uniforms as I know nothing about the value of Canadian uniforms.
Any help would be great on the matter---Thanks again for all the input---Blue Skies Mark
Old 23-05-15, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st Sgt USAF View Post
Hello Jo---all I am looking for is a ball park figure, in your opinion, on the uniforms as I know nothing about the value of Canadian uniforms.
Any help would be great on the matter---Thanks again for all the input---Blue Skies Mark
Mark....as some say" your guess is as good as mine"...the problem is 1st WW militaria is really not my area of interest or expertise......yes I know about some of the stuff but, that's all.Perhaps someone on a 1st war website might be able to help you.
Good Luck.
Jo

Old 24-05-15, 01:34 AM

Can we see pics of the other uniforms?
Old 24-05-15, 03:58 PM

Some additional info re: "William H. Latimer"

http://canadiangreatwarproject.com/s....asp?ID=107575
Much the same info as on his declaration papers, but there are links to mentions of him in the war diary of the 124th Battalion.

If the same W.H. Latimer, he attended University of Toronto and graduated with a B.A. in 1911
http://www.mocavo.com/Torontonensis-...1916/979657/23

And then studied law at Osgoode Hall Law School, class of 1914.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lsuc_a...n/photostream/

and then apparently married in 1923 http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...tor1923p10.htm
Quote:
007213-23 William Henry LATIMER, 31, barrister at law, U.S.A., 74 Colin Ave. Toronto, s/o William Henry LATIMER (b. U.S.A.) & Elizabeth Ann JOHNSTON married Dorothy Jean HODGSON, 30, Ontario, 431 Brunswick Ave., widow, d/o Angus MURRAY (b. Ontario) & Barbara GRANT, witn: M.L. ELLIS of Toronto & Gladys JAMES of Brantford, 1 December 1923
Old 01-06-15, 10:16 PM

Default More of his uniforms South Albert Light Horse( Canadian)

Hello Again---more of his uniforms Blue uniform and Red uniform. Does anyone have an idea what these are worth ? Please feel free to input on these uniforms. Thanks Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 Jun 15 Blue Uniform 001.jpg (20.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 1 Jun 15 Blue Uniform 002.jpg (30.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 1 Jun 15 Red coat.jpg (20.7 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 1 Jun 15 #2.jpg (25.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 1 Jun 15 #3.jpg (21.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-06-15, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mark, Can these be confirmed as his? Are they named to him? Eg, are they marked with his name, or is there a tailor's tag with the owners information in the garments?
Pre-1914 tunics are not easy to find, but at the same time the number of collectors is smaller. Values would best be established through auction by a reputable firm.
Old 03-06-15, 12:57 PM

Love seeing these tunics. very nice examples.

Cheers
Chris