British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-08-12, 11:30 AM

Default Cdn Para Officer's Badge?

Hi all,

I need to ask an opinion on a badge. I was photographing some badges from a collection for a project I am working on and came across this particular para badge. It is a "two piece" badge with the overlays. I have very minimal experience with these as it is not my area of collecting but the couple I have seen and handled have been different in construction. Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ParaF.jpg (28.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg ParaR.jpg (31.4 KB, 138 views)
Old 22-08-12, 02:58 PM

Hi Greg,

There have been numerous copies of this badge made. I can't tell you exactly what the differences are as I'm no expert on them either, but I'm sure BillA can fill you in. There are also several threads on this badge if you use the Search function.

David
Old 22-08-12, 03:02 PM

Looks OK. It's the late war lighter stamped Officers badge. Scully stamped example, (above left lug) with Copper Alloy lugs... Or a very good fake.
Old 23-08-12, 11:54 AM

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for your opinions. As I mentioned I have little experience with CDN para as it has never been a primary focus of my collecting (I've dabbled here and there but nothing too serious). The few examples I have seen have always been the "flat backed" type with screw posts for fasteners. I did not know about these stamped late war variants. I did have a pretty good feeling about it as it is from a very old collection.

Now the question everyone hates. What is a current value? I have something to trade for it. I know the value of my end of the trade but no clue as to the value of this badge. I would hate for the trade to be skewed too much in one direction. This badge will then be traded to a different collector for something I need from his collection. LOL!

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions. Its much appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 23-08-12, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Greg, The badge looks good to me. As mentioned, this is the Scully made version attributed to late war period. Canadian Parachute Corps officers' badges are highly collectable, and command top prices. Up the Royals Militaria has one on offer at $1800. Several have been sold for over $1200 in the last year.
Old 24-08-12, 12:19 PM

Hi Bill,

Many thanks for your input. I actually had no idea that the value of these had gone up so much. Last time I paid any attention to these they were in the $750 range. Wow! I am out of touch! Lol! Thanks again for your opinion on pricing etc.

I now have a # and can use that for the planned trades.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 16-09-12, 01:58 AM

Did you get the badge?

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 16-09-12, 12:15 PM

Hi Phillip,

Indeed I did. Unfortunately the party that was originally interested in a trade backed out. As it does not fit my collection FGH, ManDrags and CEF battalions based out of MB) then it simply has to go.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 22-03-13, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK View Post
Hi all,

I need to ask an opinion on a badge. I was photographing some badges from a collection for a project I am working on and came across this particular para badge. It is a "two piece" badge with the overlays. I have very minimal experience with these as it is not my area of collecting but the couple I have seen and handled have been different in construction. Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks,
Greg

Hello GregK,

I like this badge very much. I would be more than willing to give it a good home!!

Cheers