British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-19, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Yes, they did - I can't remember if the Coy with 2 Para did though.
No, the Gurkha Reinforcement Company with 2 PARA just wore the their RGR cap badge on a maroon beret without any backing.

Those parachute qualified elements of 1 RGR who were serving with the battalion as part of 5th Airborne Brigade in 1997 wore a rifle green backing to their RGR badges on their maroon berets, while non- airborne elements wore their standard rifle green lids.

Last edited by Colin S; 31-01-19 at 05:32 PM.
Old 31-01-19, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
PM me with your address and I will send you a C95 UK flag patch worn in Bosnia in 1996.
Thank you, I dropped you a PM
Old 31-01-19, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin S View Post
No, the Gurkha Reinforcement Company with 2 PARA just wore the their RGR cap badge on a maroon beret without any backing.

Those parachute qualified elements of 1 RGR who were serving with the battalion as part of 5th Airborne Brigade in 1997 wore a rifle green backing to their RGR badges on their maroon berets, while non- airborne elements wore their standard rifle green lids.
This is very useful, non-airborne ones are like the ones that re-enforced Royal Scots as mentioned below, right?
Old 31-01-19, 11:26 PM

When I say non-airborne types what I mean is those members of 1 RGR who were not parachute trained and who wore the regiment’s normal rifle green beret with RGR cap badge. Only the parachute trained soldiers in 1 RGR were allowed to wear a maroon beret with rifle green badge backing in the late 1990s, when 1 RGR was part of 5th Airborne Brigade (and then 16th Air Assault Brigade after 1999).

(2 RGR recently became part of 16 Air Assault Brigade in 2015 and they all wear the RGR badge on a maroon beret, regardless of parachute qualification or not).

The Gurkha Reinforcement Companies of the late 1990s either wore their standard RGR rifle green beret or the regimental head dress of the unit they were part of. In 2 PARA they wore the maroon beret with RGR cap badge and no badge backing. In the Royal Scots they wore a navy blue beret with a patch of Hunting Stewart tartan backing the RGR cap badge. Both the R Scots and the RGR shared a heritage of using the Hunting Stewart tartan, although if I recall correctly the Gurkhas aligned their backing tartan in the opposite way to the R Scots.(The second photo is of the Royal Scots tartan alignment)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4427799B-C3B3-4E8B-B7B8-2AA9B22A2C31.jpeg (49.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg A3A742D8-7640-4647-8F06-D3533D2AB917.jpg (46.7 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Colin S; 31-01-19 at 11:42 PM.
Old 31-01-19, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
What does the flag badge, look like, please?

Like this.

Marc
Thanks Marc, appreciate that
Old 01-02-19, 08:31 AM

Ok, so thanks to everyone for the help. This is what I believe will be an authentic complete unifom of the RGR in Yugoslav Wars:

S95 Jacket DPM Combat Lightweight
S95 Trousers DPM Combat Lightweight
Rifle Green Beret
RGR Cap Badge
RGR Tartan
Union Jack Patch
RGR Tactical Recognition Flash
British Army Combat Boots
58 Pattern Belt
DPM RGR Rank Slide

Edit: added the belt and rank slide

Last edited by ColdWar_Conan; 01-02-19 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-02-19, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

For a belt either an RGR stable belt or 58 pattern webbing belt.
Old 01-02-19, 11:48 AM

1 Royal Scots Gurkhas ("B" Coy? I think 2 Para Gurkhas were "C" Coy? Could be the other way around) wore blue rather than rifle green berets?
My recollection is that the ones I had dealings with wore green, but after 20 years I could be wrong.
My recollection is that yes, they wore the Hunting Stewart tartan with yellow stripe running top right to bottom left as viewed from the front, but again, I could be wrong.
Interestingly, "British Army Badges" (R Hodges, published 2005) shows the tartan as not being worn on the beret but worn on the "Hat Felt Gurkha" with the yellow stripe running from top left to bottom right.
Old 01-02-19, 01:11 PM

Quote:
1 Royal Scots Gurkhas ("B" Coy? I think 2 Para Gurkhas were "C" Coy? Could be the other way around) wore blue rather than rifle green berets
Ah I see... Is that UN Blue or Navy Blue?
Old 01-02-19, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdWar_Conan View Post
Ah I see... Is that UN Blue or Navy Blue?
Sorry, I was referring to post 34 (I didn't want to quote the lengthy post or mess around editing it) - "navy blue".
Old 01-02-19, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I was referring to post 34 (I didn't want to quote the lengthy post or mess around editing it) - "navy blue".
Leigh I am sure you were right in that both the RGR and the RGR Reinforcement Company in the Royal Scots wore a rifle green beret, the only difference being that only the R Scots Reinforcement Company wore the tartan badge backing.

After I posted Post 34 I thought I’d made a mistake as the R Scots would not have worn the standard infantry navy blue beret because, as a Scottish regiment they would wear the Tam-O- Shanter or glengarry. Looking at the photo I posted, I think the beret is actually rifle green not navy blue. (I thought I had edited the post to remove “navy blue” but can’t have done it right!)

Apologies for my error.
Old 01-02-19, 08:33 PM

Ne problema, my memory's getting hazy.
Old 02-02-19, 01:23 PM

I like the preciseness of RGR Reinforcement Company in the Royal Scots... Better than an generic 'Yugoslav War impression'. When did the RGR join the Royal Scots for this? And when did they leave, just so that I can get a tough time span of when my impression is accurate to.

And, my final question for this topic: did they use an SLR or SA80? This is of course something I won't be getting, but just nice to know.
Old 02-02-19, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

They were created to fill a huge gap in Royal Scots numbers due to poor recruiting. The RGR agreed to create a company of Gurkhas.

The same went for the Para regt where a succession on NI tours had caused a lot of gaps.

They used SA80. SLRs went out of use in 1991-2.
Old 02-02-19, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
They used SA80. SLRs went out of use in 1991-2.
Ah yeah I should've known that

Last edited by ColdWar_Conan; 05-02-19 at 04:48 PM.

Tags
gurkha