British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-01-21, 04:39 PM

Default Leicester Borough Police 1870 -1900

Hi all,

I appreciate this is a very niche query but hoping someone may be able to help.

I have a relative who served with the Leicester Borough Police in the 1870s up to 1900, covering the ranks of Police Constable up to Superintendent.

Does anyone know (or can point me in the direction of where I can find) what insignia (badges, buttons etc) he would have worn?

I would love to find an example but currently have no idea what to look out for.

Thanks in advance,

James
Old 22-01-21, 05:20 PM

I have a large collection of Leicester Borough/City Police insignia. I'll do a photo for you tomorrow when the light is better.

Dave.
Old 22-01-21, 05:27 PM

That would be fantastic Dave thank you, much appreciated!
Old 23-01-21, 09:41 AM

As promised please see the appended photos.

I'm sorry but I'm unable to suggest any likely sources of these items other than to suggest keeping a watching brief on eBay and the auction houses. I note that you are particularly interested in items of insignia from the Victorian period. These are almost impossible to find and if you do, expect to pay large sums to secure them. Sorry if I sound negative, but that's the reality.

Dave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Leicester Borough-City Police. 2.jpg (94.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Leicester Borough- City Police. 1.jpg (55.3 KB, 32 views)
Old 23-01-21, 09:50 AM

Those are brilliant thanks Dave - very impressive collection!

Appreciate the comments on scarcity of these - best for me to be aware of as much as possible.

Of the ones in your collection - do you know which are likely to be from the period I am looking at?
(Do you also know the distinction between the badges which show leicester police and leicester borough police? Am I right in also thinking the Leicester City police are post-1900?)
Old 23-01-21, 10:31 AM

Leicester formally became a "City" in April 1919. However, it would seem that the title had been used informally by some prior to that time.

The first four helmet plates on the left hand side of the first photo bear Queen Victoria's Crown which would date them prior to 1902 or thereabout. The fifth helmet plate on the right "208" which has on it the King's Crown is Edwardian.

The belt clasp and cape chain were worn during the Victoria's reign and into Edward's.

Senior Officers during that period wore a bullion wire badge consisting of the "wyvern" or "shield" within a wreath with Crown above.

There is no real significance between the wording on the helmet plates (Police versus Borough Police). Such variations were usually at the whim of the Chief Constable of the day with the approval of the Watch Committee. That said, in Leicester's case it can be an indication of the age of the badge.

If you are not already in possession of a copy, I recommend buying the book "Peelers to Pandas" (An illustrated History of the Leicester City Police") by Ben Beazley, Published in 2001. An excellent book full of period photos. There are usually several copies on eBay.

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 23-01-21 at 10:41 AM.