British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-08-10, 03:56 AM
Banned

Default The Canadian Army Film and Photo Unit, France Sept. 44.

Sergeant H.A. Barnett of the Canadian Army Film and Photo Unit
talking with a German officer during the surrender of German
troops at Herquelingue near Boulogne, France, 21 Sept. 1944.

Source LAC.

Last edited by Recce; 18-08-10 at 12:10 AM.
Old 17-08-10, 07:42 AM
L&BH

Very lovely and interesting picture. Is it me or is his parent unit the Royal Canadian Armoured corps and he's wearing a khaki (and not black) beret?
Old 17-08-10, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hi L&BH, You are quite correct in your observation. The Film & Photo unit was constituted of men from other units. The shoulder title was approved in the late winter of 1944, but there was never cap badge made for the unit. They continued to wear the badge of their previous regiment or corps. Of interest, the only officially approved pattern of shoulder titile was the printed canvas issue. The melton issue were private purchase.
Old 17-08-10, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&BH View Post
Very lovely and interesting picture. Is it me or is his parent unit the Royal Canadian Armoured corps and he's wearing a khaki (and not black) beret?
Thank you I have many more. Do look at the rest I posted yesterday many of the Canadian Women's Corps, as the Nursing Sisters in the Battle zone.
Old 17-08-10, 01:01 PM

Default Photographs

These are good, but are they not already available on line through the Canadian Library and Archives site 'Faces of War'?
Old 17-08-10, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
These are good, but are they not already available on line through the Canadian Library and Archives site 'Faces of War'?
All my pictures are from the Canadian National Archives, Therefore Yes and no let me elaborate. To get over 2000 pictures I needed over 1000hrs of research and work, not all pictures can be found easily especially if you don't have the PA###### and even then this is also a problem.

Go to this link, has great Pics Also

http://www.junobeach.org/main.html

Now if you go to RCAF or RCN you'll see they give you the PA-###### when you go to the National Archives and search with that PA- you fined nothing.

Therefore some you will fined others takes some Recce and allot of patience.
Old 17-08-10, 04:22 PM

Default Posting Images

So when you post the images that you have researched and are not available through the LAC site, would it not be better to provide the PA number as well. That way if someone wants to conduct additional research the PA number will provide a starting reference?

If your intent is to post these images, then why not set up your own website and use that medium?
Old 17-08-10, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
So when you post the images that you have researched and are not available through the LAC site, would it not be better to provide the PA number as well. That way if someone wants to conduct additional research the PA number will provide a starting reference?

If your intent is to post these images, then why not set up your own website and use that medium?
First what are you getting at this thread category is about Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia.
And I'm making a contribution to this site by posting them. Set Up my own
Web Site to post a few Pictures with information??

The PA wont give you Additional research on the picture, thats the Negative Number, plus many PA are wrong "See Juno Link for RCAF' and you'll see.

Go to the Bottom Link this is how Additional information is found.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=11965
Old 17-08-10, 07:03 PM

Default LAC Images

I understand your enthusiam for posting images of insignia on this site, but yesterday you posted about two dozen images that from what I could see could be found in the LAC 'Faces of War' site. I can see perhaps posting one or two interesting examples with strange badge combinations but why so many? You have also mentioned about thousands of hours of research into LAC photographs and that you have collected several thousand of these images. Is this research being done at the LAC from their collection or are you just sifting through the material that is already available through several sources on the internet? If you had found some new material at the LAC, then I was wondering if you are using this forum to post images that are not on the LAC site as examples of some of the material you have found or if this is a prelude to you hosting your own site with these new found images?

As for a PA number, well, if I am not mistaken if someone wants to order a copy of an image from the LAC then a PA number is required or if an image is used in a publication it is considered to be good means to reference the image.
Old 17-08-10, 11:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
I understand your enthusiam for posting images of insignia on this site, but yesterday you posted about two dozen images that from what I could see could be found in the LAC 'Faces of War' site. I can see perhaps posting one or two interesting examples with strange badge combinations but why so many? You have also mentioned about thousands of hours of research into LAC photographs and that you have collected several thousand of these images. Is this research being done at the LAC from their collection or are you just sifting through the material that is already available through several sources on the internet? If you had found some new material at the LAC, then I was wondering if you are using this forum to post images that are not on the LAC site as examples of some of the material you have found or if this is a prelude to you hosting your own site with these new found images?

As for a PA number, well, if I am not mistaken if someone wants to order a copy of an image from the LAC then a PA number is required or if an image is used in a publication it is considered to be good means to reference the image.
Not enthusiastic just contributing, well you might see it that way. Many are of the Women that Bravely served that I've posted. I'm not New to this site.
First I have to check this "Faces of War" at the LAC. All pictures from the Second World War, Copy right has expired and are Public Domain.
No not using Internet sources and If I did I would provide a Link to source. As for many that I posted your grossly exaggerating only 2 that I saw from Faces Of War.
But go to this site they have many and no PA on Non ok maybe 3 Pictures and my collection is much bigger. You can also fined me See Spaniard.

http://www.wwii.ca/index.php

Me hosting my own site No. But my articles can be found on a few sites.

Thousands of Pictures as negatives, Footage have been lost in the Archives due to a fire many years ago.

Next then you pay $12.00+ tax each for small ones much more for the big ones.

Like I say again go to "Junobeach Center" they use PA or PL. and many when you check with LAC cant be found on Record.

http://www.junobeach.org/e/4/can-tac-air-fig-e.htm

I've printed a few for $1.00 each in High resolution and they came out great.

I just Checked Faces of War LAC and only 45 pictures are posted between 3 categories
Yes I know they say 2,500 are available, have fun finding.

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/f...r/index-e.html

Quote:
Public domain material
Some of the material you will find on the Library and Archives Canada website is in the public domain (meaning that the copyright term of protection has expired) and may be reproduced without permission or paying royalties as long as you abide by the reproduction conditions listed above. Public domain material will be clearly indicated as such on our website.

Last edited by Recce; 18-08-10 at 12:55 AM.