British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Books by Forum Members


Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18-01-19, 11:36 AM
DougSA's Avatar
DougSA DougSA is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 262
Default Parachute Regt: Mix of badges on OSD

Thought it might be interesting to share this photo, received some years ago from Major Philip Nigel Grove, who was Adjutant of 1st Parachute Battalion at Arnhem.

Note the interesting mix of regimental insignia. As explained by Maj Grove at the time:

"I was a regular officer in The York & Lancaster Regt and during the war the Parachute Regt had not been formed - only Parachute Bns. When I joined I was posted to 8 Para Bn, which had been a battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regt and they still wore that badge on their red berets, as the Para Regt badge had not then been produced. So those of us who were not the R.Warwicks wore our own regimental collar badges with the R.W. cap badge."

The photo was taken in April 1943, after he had qualified as a parachutist.

I have also noticed on later photos of other officers in OSD that the Parachute Regiment collar badges were not always worn in favour of those of their parent regiment. In particular, a photo of officers of 10th Parachute Bn in Sept 1944, wearing Royal Sussex Regt collar badges. Although I also have another photo of another officer from the same battalion, before Arnhem, already wearing the Parachute Regt collar badges.

Does anyone know the orders/regulations regarding the introduction and use of the collar badges for OSD?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18-01-19, 12:50 PM
NEMO's Avatar
NEMO NEMO is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Summer Wine Country
Posts: 1,219
Default

Superb information , very many thanks for taking the time to add this, much appreciated.
__________________
kind regards, Michael

//////// Please view my militaria & Insignia sales website www.grandads-kitbag.com /////////
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19-01-19, 03:53 PM
DougSA's Avatar
DougSA DougSA is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
Superb information , very many thanks for taking the time to add this, much appreciated.
Your are very welcome! Happy to share.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19-01-19, 04:52 PM
Mike B Mike B is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North West
Posts: 1,777
Default

Great image - thanks for sharing
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19-01-19, 08:33 PM
Mike_2817's Avatar
Mike_2817 Mike_2817 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Yorkshire
Posts: 2,253
Default

It being wartime with the norm being Battledress were collar badges for OSD even officially approved till after the war?

One other thing is that officers OSD badges were a private purchase item and perhaps they were simply made to order??
__________________
Sua Tela Tonanti
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20-01-19, 08:10 PM
silverwash's Avatar
silverwash silverwash is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 335
Default Pick n' Mix

Lionel Queripel, VC
John Williams, DSO

both awards for Arnhem.

the other chap is Victor Dover, MC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg queripel.jpg (16.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg williams.JPG (83.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg victor dover.jpg (42.6 KB, 56 views)
__________________
" the art of collecting badges, darker'n a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night "
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20-01-19, 08:18 PM
Mike B Mike B is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North West
Posts: 1,777
Default

Silverwash - great images again
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21-01-19, 09:15 AM
DougSA's Avatar
DougSA DougSA is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: England
Posts: 262
Default

I received the attached from Nick Hanmer and George Widdowson, both of 10th Parachute Battalion.

The photo from Nick Hanmer ('B' Coy) was taken at the wedding of Benjamin Clegg (2 i/c 'B' Coy), in the weeks before Arnhem. The photo shows Nick Hanmer, Myles Henry (Bn IO, ex-'B' Coy) and Lionel Queripel (2 i/c 'A' Coy). They are all wearing their Royal Sussex Regt collar badges.

The photo of George Widdowson (Bn 2 i/c) was taken "just before Arnhem". Originally from the Green Howards, he is wearing Parachute Regt collar badges.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21-01-19, 11:52 AM
Mike B Mike B is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North West
Posts: 1,777
Default

... and the great images and information still keeps coming
Excellent thanks
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21-01-19, 07:39 PM
3dg 3dg is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 410
Default

Major Allison Digby Tatham-Warter, transferred to the Parachute Regiment from Oxf & Bucks LI.
He wears his Para cap badge but retains his Oxf & Bucks collar badge buttons and cord, just thought this would be of interest to this very interesting thread.
Cheers



https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digby_Tatham-Warter
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21-01-19, 09:20 PM
fougasse1940's Avatar
fougasse1940 fougasse1940 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,208
Default

And LI double Sam Browne shoulder straps.

Rgds, Thomas
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21-01-19, 10:10 PM
Dan M's Avatar
Dan M Dan M is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 89
Default

It looks like Major Thatham-Warter set the trend for the wearing of beret badges over the left ear.

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27-01-19, 09:17 AM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,831
Default

Very clearly, bronze collar badges were both made and worn by some officers during the war, but, I would think it was quite common practice to simply wear those of your own regiment, rather than buy more.
This continued well into the Cold War, until 1958, so it is important to bare in mind that the Parachute Regiment had no permanent cadre whatsoever and was maintained by seconding officers, volunteers, but, only after they had completed their initial training and a considerable period of regimental duty.
They then had to undergo a period of selection at the hands of P Company and if they were not already qualified parachutists they would need to complete the parachute course as well, just as officers had done during the war itself with the old Parachute Training and Holding Battalion.

For a great many, it was simply the beret that mattered.




Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSA View Post
Thought it might be interesting to share this photo, received some years ago from Major Philip Nigel Grove, who was Adjutant of 1st Parachute Battalion at Arnhem.

Note the interesting mix of regimental insignia. As explained by Maj Grove at the time:

"I was a regular officer in The York & Lancaster Regt and during the war the Parachute Regt had not been formed - only Parachute Bns. When I joined I was posted to 8 Para Bn, which had been a battalion of the Royal Warwickshire Regt and they still wore that badge on their red berets, as the Para Regt badge had not then been produced. So those of us who were not the R.Warwicks wore our own regimental collar badges with the R.W. cap badge."

The photo was taken in April 1943, after he had qualified as a parachutist.

I have also noticed on later photos of other officers in OSD that the Parachute Regiment collar badges were not always worn in favour of those of their parent regiment. In particular, a photo of officers of 10th Parachute Bn in Sept 1944, wearing Royal Sussex Regt collar badges. Although I also have another photo of another officer from the same battalion, before Arnhem, already wearing the Parachute Regt collar badges.

Does anyone know the orders/regulations regarding the introduction and use of the collar badges for OSD?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robert Bonner.jpg (70.1 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27-01-19, 05:37 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,831
Default

Service Dress was quite the "norm" for officers during the war, collar badges were simply ordered and sold by your particular tailor concerned.
Prior to regimental collar badges being available, an officer could wear those of his own regiment, although, some wore those of the AAC, of which the regiment was a component part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
It being wartime with the norm being Battledress were collar badges for OSD even officially approved till after the war?

One other thing is that officers OSD badges were a private purchase item and perhaps they were simply made to order??

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 27-01-19 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.