British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-06-18, 12:03 PM

Default Cap Buttons

A long time ago I read somewhere that cap buttons should be collected in pairs. No reason was given, however I have my own theories as to why, but I would very much welcome further information on this.
I can understand gorget buttons (similar size to most, if not all, cap buttons) being collected in pairs. These would eventually find a place adorning gorgets. But how would a pair of cap buttons be displayed? One tunic, one pocket/shoulder strap, two caps??
Again, cap buttons are, or were mentioned as being, more expensive than other buttons. I can understand that there would have been less manufactured and I can appreciate that many have a different design to the larger uniform buttons, but is this the reason?

Comments welcome

GTB
Old 08-06-18, 01:15 PM

A good question, I tend to keep them in pairs when I find them, but in some cases like this Buffs Officers cap 3 would be more appropriate.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap1.jpg (92.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg cap2.jpg (23.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-06-18, 02:01 PM

Thanks, Rob, for your input. Very illuminating.

Regards the triple button arrangement, this would be an exception to the rule, as normally cap buttons are taken to mean chinstrap buttons, and I am a bit at fault here as I should have specified this

I likewise display 'cap' buttons in pairs whenever I can. The query arose to address the manner of displaying a unit's insignia - whereby one uniform button is adequate, but should 2 'cap' buttons be the norm? I think this could be in the spirit of a pair of shoulder titles, pair of collar badges, pair of rank insignia, etc being displayed. Before I am taken to task that these items may be Left & Right items, this is not always the case.

GTB
Old 08-06-18, 04:54 PM

Default Cap buttons

I have always collected 2 a/a buttons of each size. A lot of the infantry cap buttons were different to the tunic and greatcoat.
The only anomaly being the Royal Marines cap buttons which I have as opposite facing, hence 2 😉
Bob
Old 08-06-18, 05:20 PM

You have got me thinking now, if you are making a display with 2 identical shoulder titles and collars you probably should have a full set of buttons?

Also some small buttons may not have been for a cap, this 11mm one would be pre 1873 and may have been on a cuff?

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ra.jpg (46.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-06-18, 05:38 PM

Rob,

Trying to display full sets of buttons would take the pleasure out of collecting and turn the hobby into a drudge.
It's hard enough trying to obtain one example of every uniform button issued. I had toyed with this but restricted myself to the Guards Regiments, as an indication of how the different placements were worn. The downside to this sort of display is that with even one button lacking, the display is faulty.

There are any number of button sizes, including tiny gaiter buttons. Now that would be a nightmare - 2 complete sets of 18th century gaiter buttons!

GTB