British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-07-20, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Default Mellingriffith Cadet Corps or not.

This surprised me

MELINGRIFFITH CADET CORPS CAP BADGE.GOOD SCARCE DIE-STAMPED BRASS WYVERN ON TORSE. CRIMPED

£220 with no attribution to a cadet unit in any reference work I know of. It had a band which has several photos on here http://melingriffith.co.uk/about/history-of-the-band/ but no wyvern in sight.

The Wyvern is a English/ West Country related beast and not a Welsh Dragon which would be more fitting for a South Wales unit.
Old 09-07-20, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
This surprised me

MELINGRIFFITH CADET CORPS CAP BADGE.GOOD SCARCE DIE-STAMPED BRASS WYVERN ON TORSE. CRIMPED

£220 with no attribution to a cadet unit in any reference work I know of. It had a band which has several photos on here http://melingriffith.co.uk/about/history-of-the-band/ but no wyvern in sight.

The Wyvern is a English/ West Country related beast and not a Welsh Dragon which would be more fitting for a South Wales unit.
Afternoon Alan.

The Marquess of Bute had a Wyvern in his coat of arms along with a Dragon.

Ta

Jonathan
Old 09-07-20, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Granted but it's a very minor part of the whole design and rather different to the cap badges. I still can't find a link to the cadet corps although clealry Bute had many links to Cardiff. If anyone can provide any source other than Rawlins pamphlet then I would love to see it. I do wonder if the specific Wyvern design is Police or Corporation?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marque...ss_of_Bute.png

Melingriffith Cadet Corps does not feature as an independent unit in the 1918 Army list https://digital.nls.uk/british-milit...=transcription

They certainly existed: as the post war merger of the band evidences but they are not listed as part of the Monmouth Cadet Battalions in The Territorials, 1908–1914: A Guide for Military and Family Historians by Ray Westlake.

The 1918 Army List shows that the Monmouths had their 4 CB but did not have affiliations to any independent schools or uniyts.

I do wonder if the cadets who went on to merge with the band were Boys Brigade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monmouth Cadet Bns 1908-14.jpg (59.3 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-07-20, 01:28 PM

I dont know if it helps but the August 1919 Army List shows 4 Cadet Battalions.

The 4CB was attached to the 3rd Monmouths.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 09-07-20, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

I missed the 4th Bn off but they are there in the 1918 version. Unfortunately the Army List does not give any more detail below Battalion level. I would expect them all to be wearing the 4 legged dragon of the Monmouths as individual cadet badges were generally worn by individual units, especially school cadet corps, rather than by companies within battalions.
Old 09-07-20, 03:19 PM

Afternoon Alan.

Maybe of interest as cadet corp mentioned.

A tribute by E. Vaughan Morris in the Conductor magazine, April 1965: 'T. J. Powell: A Mighty Friend'. W. G. Atkins September 1969.

T.J. (tom) was born in Tredegar, Monmouthshire on 12 October 1897 to Edgar and Sarah Anne Powell. As has been the case with many musicians in the brass band movement, he started as a boy in the Salvation Army, and was playing side-drum in the youth band at the age of seven. He transferred to the Tredegar senior band pn cornet and studied theory and harmony during this period with Mr. Hurley who was bandmaster there. Just prior to the First World War, joined the Tredegar town band but then left South Wales to serve with distinction in the band of H. M. Royal Marines; he furthered his studies during the war in the Marines School of Music. In 1920 he was appointed musical director of the Melingriffith Volunteer and Cadet Corp and which was connected to the Melingriffith Tinplate Works at Whitchurch, just outside of Cardiff; he lived locally for many years at No. 81 Velindre Road, Whitchurch. This was the beginning of and association which lasted all his life, and the name of 'Melingriffith' and 'Tom Powell' wil be forever linked together.

Ta

Jonathan
Old 09-07-20, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

OK this is interesting -The band was that of the old RVC and so nothing to do with army cadets in the normal sense. The cadet corps band merged with the former Volunteers band in 1913 which may suggest that the cadet corps ceased to exist as an independent entity hence no entry in the WW1 Army Lists.

Melingriffith tin works does not have any connection to Bute that I can find so I can't make the wyvern link to Melingriffith or any pre-WW1 cadet corps.

I remain of the opinion that the cap badge sold yesterday is nothing to do with the attribution at all. It's huge leap of faith to connect the wyvern to a non affiliated welsh cadet unit.

At the other end of the interwar period it is not listed as a cadet corps in 1939's list of all cadet units https://digital.nls.uk/dcn23/1044/1430/104414300.23.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cadet corps = volunteers.jpg (55.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 30-07-20 at 03:34 PM.
Old 28-10-20, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

The correct identification can be found here:

https://www.queenscollege.org.uk/upl...utumn-2018.pdf

The cap badge is that of the short-lived cadet corps that existed in WW1 at Queen's College Taunton. The school does not have a CCF and surprisingly unlike King's and Taunton schools which are in the same town did not get OTC status. It is equally prestigious as its counterparts in the town but does have a Quaker tradition so i wonder if the undercurrent of pacifism saw a lack of enthusiasm from the Teachers in the military: hence the short lived cadet corps.

Not Welsh and not a band. Bosleys' expert does need to sharpen up his act!
Old 07-10-23, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

and a photo of the band shows that they are not wearing the wyvern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-10-07 21.00.55.jpg (70.4 KB, 21 views)