British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-06-22, 05:16 PM

Default Pipe Major Derek Potter RSDG

I saw him on TV yesterday evening chatting with Fiona Bruce about his time as the Queens piper.
I saw that he had the RSDG badge on his crossbelt but i was intrigued by his collar badges.
Certainly not RSDG,looked like the centre of the Glasgow Yeomanry badge.The crowned lion arms out on a rose. Well i looked online and saw an image of him with crowned EIIR collars but on his crossbelt was a larger version of the collar badge on a circlet or strap .
Does anybody know what the lion collars or what they represent ?
Old 06-06-22, 05:59 PM

Default Pipe Major Derek Potter

Hi Mike, He has the same badge on his crossbelt, waistbelt, sporran cantle and sgian dubhs.

It is the Atholl Highlanders badge see link below.

https://houseoflabhran.com/scottish-...tal-sgian-dubh

best regards John
Old 06-06-22, 07:07 PM

Default Pipe Major Derek Potter

Hi Mike, Just to put a photo link in (2nd photo down),

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-new-one.html

best regards John
Old 06-06-22, 07:09 PM

From your description I would say it is likely to be the Crest of Scotland, which is a lion facing forward sitting atop the Scottish Crown and holding the Honours of Scotland in each 'arm'. The Honours are like the UK Crown Jewels, but particular to Scotland (pre the Union of the Crowns in 1603) and housed in Edinburgh Castle.

It is the Crest of Scotland that is the centrepiece of the QORGY badge that you mention.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by dubaiguy; 06-06-22 at 09:09 PM.
Old 06-06-22, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
From your description I would say it is likely to be the Crest of Scotland, which is a lion facing forward sitting atop the Scottish Crown and holding the Honours of Scotland in each 'arm'. The Honours are like the UK Crown Jewels, but particular to Scotland (pre the Union of the Crowns in 1603) and housed in Edinburgh Castle.

It is the Crest of Scotland that is the centrepiece of the QORGY badge that you mention.

Cheers
Mark
Thats what it could be then. I presume that its to do with whatever hes doing now. . His rank badges were gold on i presume the dark green the Scots use,rather than on yellow for the RSDG.
Old 07-06-22, 08:28 AM

Hi Mike
The present Sovereign's Piper is Paul Burns who is a mate of my nephew. My nephew had sent me a couple of photos (I'm sure they are stock photos). The first is Burns standing next to Potter around the time he took over from Potter I think. Potter is wearing the same Crest of Scotland quoit whilst he was the Queen's Piper and again shown in Cavalryman's press photos.

The second is Burns in his KOSB regalia which I though might be of interest to you.
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PHOTO-2022-06-06-20-52-41.jpg (80.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg PHOTO-2022-06-06-20-52-27.jpg (66.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by dubaiguy; 07-06-22 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-06-22, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Hi Mike
The present Sovereign's Piper is Paul Burns who is a mate of my nephew. My nephew had sent me a couple of photos (I'm sure they are stock photos). The first is Burns standing next to Potter around the time he took over from Potter I think. Potter is wearing the same Crest of Scotland quoit whilst he was the Queen's Piper and again shown in Cavalryman's press photos.

The second is Burns in his KOSB regalia which I though might be of interest to you.
Mark
Excellent guys. Thanks.
Old 08-06-22, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Hi Mike

Mark
Mark,

Great photos, the photo on the right is actually as the Pipe Maj of what was then 1SCOTS now 1Ranger, after the KOSB Merged with the Royal Scots the Pipe Maj wore the accoutrements of the KOSB and the Pipers Royal Scots, the Drummers wore Leslie Tartan and for all intense purposes looked like Borderers with the Drum Maj as a Royal Scot, sadly this band no longer exists.

Gerry