British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-05-22, 08:25 AM

Default SAS disbanded plaque

Went out for a meal last night with some friends to a hotel in Wivenhoe and came across this plaque in the reception - I’d never realised there was a connection to the SAS and wondered why the disbanding of the regiment would have taken place here?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1E7BACC8-1EE8-40FC-B416-A440CD3C632E.jpg (40.3 KB, 208 views)
Old 22-05-22, 08:40 AM

2nd SAS regiment were based at Wivenhoe House during World War II and were disbanded there in December 1945.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 22-05-22, 10:12 AM

Many thanks to gurkha rifles for photographing and mike vee for sharing info
Old 22-05-22, 11:41 AM

I seem to remember a TV documentary “the Secret Hunters” which revealed that the SAS remained active after their official disbandment- specifically to hunt down the Nazi units responsible for the killing of SAS units captured in France. Can anyone confirm more details about it - or did I imagine the whole thing?
Old 22-05-22, 02:14 PM

"The Secret Hunters" was a documentary by Gordon Stevens which mentions :

Quote:
an SAS team who, although the wartime SAS had been disbanded in 1945, maintained their hunt for Nazi war criminals until 1948.
He also wrote a book "The Originals" which was made into a documentary.

Quote:
A version of his documentary "The Originals", featuring interviews with Stirling and The Originals, is held by the SAS at their own private museum.

Old 22-05-22, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
I seem to remember a TV documentary “the Secret Hunters” which revealed that the SAS remained active after their official disbandment- specifically to hunt down the Nazi units responsible for the killing of SAS units captured in France. Can anyone confirm more details about it - or did I imagine the whole thing?
I had a copy of a book "The Secret Hunters" which covered their post-war activities tracking down war criminals as you describe: a couple of pages tied in with my lifelong interest in the occult when one veteran recalled being b*llocked by the CO for using either a seance or oujia board to get information - when he pointed out that the information had led to a successful conclusion he was told that was the only reason he wasn't facing a court martial.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 22-05-22, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chacal View Post
I had a copy of a book "The Secret Hunters" which covered their post-war activities tracking down war criminals as you describe: a couple of pages tied in with my lifelong interest in the occult when one veteran recalled being b*llocked by the CO for using either a seance or oujia board to get information - when he pointed out that the information had led to a successful conclusion he was told that was the only reason he wasn't facing a court martial.

Graham
That book , by Anthony Kemp , was published the year after Gordon Stevens documentary. I don't know if there was any mention of the 'occult' in the documentary.

The 'Author's Preface' to Gordon Stevens book "The Originals" is very interesting !

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Secret Hunters.jpg (81.4 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 22-05-22 at 03:49 PM.
Old 27-06-22, 08:21 PM

Default The Secret Hunters...

this maybe part of it......the documentary...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o89qbmWGLy8&t=541s
Old 28-06-22, 07:43 AM

Default SAS

The SAS were officially disbanded in Hylands House Chelmsford
Bob
Old 08-07-22, 03:07 PM

Officially yes mate but as per above there was indeed a group that operated after the official disbanding of the regiment.
There’s photos too.
I can’t remember the name but I believe it was a Russian-born count or something that ran the setup.
Old 11-07-22, 09:05 AM

This thread remembered me to this story so typical for Lt.-Colonel Paddy Maine..

In 1944, the newly formed SAS (Special Air Services) used Hylands House as their Headquarters. Mrs Hanbury cheerfully accepted their presence and was regularly invited to dine in the Officers’ Mess. On one memorable occasion, Captain Paddy Blair Maine (who went on to become this country’s most decorated soldier) attempted to drive a Jeep up the Grand Staircase for a bet. The incident caused much commotion and Christine Hanbury dispatched the men to bed with instructions to remove the Jeep in the morning when they had clearer heads. The Jeep had to be dismantled before it could be removed.

Source https://hylandsestate.co.uk/explore/...house/history/
Old 11-07-22, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamandJam View Post
This thread remembered me to this story so typical for Lt.-Colonel Paddy Maine..

In 1944, the newly formed SAS (Special Air Services) used Hylands House as their Headquarters. Mrs Hanbury cheerfully accepted their presence and was regularly invited to dine in the Officers’ Mess. On one memorable occasion, Captain Paddy Blair Maine (who went on to become this country’s most decorated soldier) attempted to drive a Jeep up the Grand Staircase for a bet. The incident caused much commotion and Christine Hanbury dispatched the men to bed with instructions to remove the Jeep in the morning when they had clearer heads. The Jeep had to be dismantled before it could be removed.

Source https://hylandsestate.co.uk/explore/...house/history/
Great story JB. Thanks for sharing..
Old 14-07-22, 07:20 AM

Many years ago my parents lived next to JQHughes - double MC SAS in Italy).