British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-11, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagwalther View Post
Hi Guys,

Without offending anyone but I need to know what the current non offensive term is for a British soldier. The term has to be one that they are affectionately known as as part of a group and not an official designation.

It used to be 'Squaddie' but this seems to have passed to one of derision. I don't know when or why this happened but I always knew it from the eight man squad and in the 1970's such a term was not an issue.

A few previous examples of such terms and their respective countries are given below:

'Tommy' - British soldier also up to WWII perhaps.
'Lanser' - the German equivalent
'Doughboy' - American WW1
'Poilu' - French WW1 possibly WWII too.

Royal Navy sailors were 'Matlots' (after the french I believe) or 'Jack Tarrs'.

My brother in law was a 'Bootneck' who was wounded in the Falklands whilst serving with the Royal Marines and still refers to himself as that albeit now out of service.

'Brit' used to be a derogatory term used by the IRA during 'the troubles' but this seems to have become acceptable when referring to UK citizens.

The best I can think of is 'Trooper' but somehow that still seems a bit formal.

If people don't want to post here please contact me via email or PM.

Regards

Chris
I can give you the offensive term that Canadian soldiers use for British Soldiers - "Sh*teaters" It was a reference to the poor rations (at least compared to Canadian rations), not their actual eating habits. Ironically, the term would be better applied to Canadians given the video evidence of a certain Canadian regiment's hazing rituals.
I'm not sure the soldier is wearing dreadlocks. His hair looks to be braided, but I can't see it clearly. In the Canadian Forces, there are exceptions to the traditional haircuts. The exceptions are published in Dress Regulations, so they are "Regulation".

Phil
Old 02-09-11, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
I can give you the offensive term that Canadian soldiers use for British Soldiers - "Sh*teaters" It was a reference to the poor rations (at least compared to Canadian rations), not their actual eating habits. Ironically, the term would be better applied to Canadians given the video evidence of a certain Canadian regiment's hazing rituals.
Hi Philip,

I'm not sure if:

"...your venerable British Army Shiteater always knew the best way to ..."

would go down so well in me book.

Regards

Chris
Old 03-09-11, 12:23 AM

Up until this thread I did not know that 'Squaddie' had fallen from fashion.
The term "Trooper" would possibly be justified in cavalry/armour but not in infantry or support regiment/corps'. The term "Soldier" as a bit too formal.
Therefore IMO 'Squaddie' still seems the obvious choice.
Eddie
Old 03-09-11, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Up until this thread I did not know that 'Squaddie' had fallen from fashion.
The term "Trooper" would possibly be justified in cavalry/armour but not in infantry or support regiment/corps'. The term "Soldier" as a bit too formal.
Therefore IMO 'Squaddie' still seems the obvious choice.
Eddie
I'm as surprised as you are Eddie.

"Soldier" certainly won't work here and "Tommy" seems a bit old as the era I'm covering is 1950 to current day.

Regards

Chris
Old 03-09-11, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
Eddie

I actually met a transgender soldier in the late 1990's - he/she was a REME WO2 who had passed P Company and served with Airborne Forces. In addition he/she was an accomplished decathlete. Just for the record, this was at Trenchard Lines and Upavon.

Paul L
I occasionally come across this person on another forum and she recently got married.
Old 03-09-11, 07:48 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
I occasionally "come across "this person on another forum and she recently got married.
That's a bit early for a Saturday morning!

Meant as fun please take it the right way!

Andy
Old 03-09-11, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Without offending anyone but I need to know what the current non offensive term is for a British soldier. The term has to be one that they are affectionately known as as part of a group and not an official designation.
The best I can think of is 'Trooper' but somehow that still seems a bit formal.
Chris
Hi Chris

I used the term "Trooper" in my post because that is what they are. Trooper is a rank in the Royal Tank Regiment. We used to have "Privates", Sections, Companies and Battalions prior to the formation of the Royal Armoured Corps at which point we changed to the terminology of the Cavalry.

Best wishes

Gordon
Old 03-09-11, 07:56 AM
Former Member

Gentlemen,
times do change and "terms" that in the past we used without a second thought, can now be very offenssive to some, whilst still commonly used by the older generation with no malace intended! Paki, Nigger or Chink for example are all words that can see people resigning over!

I think in this day and age "Squaddie" is not the term of endearment that it used to be taken as! I certainly think that to include it in a quality reference book, should be deliberated upon? "Troops" could be a "Fits All" term?

Andy
Old 03-09-11, 08:20 AM
Banned

Hi gents,

If squaddie is out of favour, though I can't see why it would be considered offensive? There is another term in current use for ORs.

In days past British soldiers were referred to as "Tommies" as in "Tommy Atkins".

As I understand it the the abreviation of "Tommies" to "Toms" may be the preserve of the Paras but I have heard it used of late as a generic term to describe British soldiers.

I don't think anyone could take offence at this term and it seems to be an apt description, with its roots entrenched in the history of the British army.

Regards to all.

Ry
Old 03-09-11, 08:37 AM

How about "MEMBER(S) of HM FORCES" This covers one and all of ALL three services.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 03-09-11, 08:58 AM

The writer of this book obviously didnt think the expression offensive:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Squaddie-Sol.../dp/1845961455

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 03-09-11, 09:23 PM

Hi Guys,

Is:

"Troopie" a problem?

Regards

Chris
Old 03-09-11, 09:40 PM
Banned

Hi Chris,

"Troopie" or "Troopy" is the term used to describe a platoon or troop Commander (1 pip wonder).

Regards

Ry
Old 03-09-11, 09:49 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Is:

"Troopie" a problem?

Regards

Chris
Chris,
please do not go out of your way to revise what you have done if it will cause hassle... The "S" word is one which makes many with whom I work, cringe! However in the right context it would be fine, i.e. Squaddie humour does not seem to ruffle feathers, it 's just when soldiers are tarred with the same brush that feelings can be tested!

Andy
Old 03-09-11, 09:53 PM

I'm sorry, Troopie just does not fit.
I have never heard of offence being taken at the name Squaddie, and most soldiers identify with it,
I don't know of any other name that is fit for purpose as a general name for British soldiers.
Eddie