British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-16, 06:39 PM

Default Disillusioned collector from the 70's

Hello to the forum.

I used to collect badges as a schoolboy in the 60's and 70's (particular interest RA) but became disappointed by the huge number of copies and restrikes that started appearing then so I stopped. I think I avoided making too many mistakes at the time by sourcing mainly from reliable individuals but I would like to show some of my doubtfuls to you experts please to see what you think. I have just dug out my old collection from the barn where they have been lying neglected. I had forgotten how many I had. Nothing very rare but a broad range. Hope you can help!

I see I still have many old dealer lists from this period which make interesting reading.

Charlie962
Old 28-11-16, 06:56 PM

Hello Charlie,

Welcome to the Forum, when I started to collect in the late 60`s and early70`s, like a lot of people who have started to collect more recently, I was not aware of the full extent of the problem of repro badges.

I used to have a large file of old dealers lists but got rid of them to save space, I regret letting them go as , as you say, they make interesting reading.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 15-12-16, 06:59 PM

Just thought I'd add that after a couple of weeks on this forum I am delighted with the help that members have given me and I am having great fun rediscovering my collection.
I hope I'm not abusing the generosity of members by asking so many questions on identification.
Thanks to all,Charlie
Old 16-12-16, 09:21 AM

Welcome to the forum Charlie. I am sure you will get a great deal of help here, as indeed I have. All the best with your enquiries. Regards. Jeff
Old 16-12-16, 11:02 PM

Default welcome

Welcome Charlie.
Probably as good a time as any to be checking over your collection as back in the day collecting was with in small groups and the fakers could find easy pickings. Were as there are many more fakes today at least forums like this bring us all together so we can discuss a badges merits or pitfalls as the case may be. Like many I find it abhorrent that these fakers pray on peoples desires and passions to collect and in many cases like yourself spoil it to the extent they stop collecting. I hope your collection has not been ruined with fakes.

Mac
Old 20-12-16, 10:55 PM

Welcome Charlie, I look forward to pictures of your collection. I was recently stung with a repro, the London Artillery.

So the situation has not changed much since you were collecting, except the repros are getting harder to tell from the original.
Old 21-12-16, 01:20 PM

As a collector from the 70s too, I have largely given up except for modern TRFs (and even some 1990 Gulf War ones are heading towards funny money). I am constantly perplexed by supposedly knowledgeable collectors - particularly airborne and commando - postulate that badges (usually cloth shoulder titles) which were repro in the 70s and sold in batches with rubber bands round them are absolutely original. I know, I bought them.