British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-09-10, 08:52 PM

Default mystery uniform and insignia

Can any of you experts identify this uniform please? Is it Roral Marine light Infantry? Many Thanks, Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walter Joseph HAMMOND 1.jpg (57.9 KB, 94 views)
Old 13-09-10, 09:02 PM

Default RMLI Uniform.

Ray,
It certainly looks very much like it. Unfortunately it does not show up the red tunic of the RMLI.

Ritchie
Old 13-09-10, 10:04 PM

Very like this one:

http://www.soldiersofthequeen.com/im...CapperRMLI.jpg
Old 14-09-10, 05:16 PM

Default RMLI Uniform

Thankyou gentlemen, for identifying the RMLI uniform. The person wearing it was my Grand Uncle Walter Joseph Hammond who served with the RMLI on the armoured cruiser HMS Australia around 1888.

Best Regards, Ray Hammond
Old 15-09-10, 02:02 PM

Default RMLI

I have found this post very interesting as my father joined the RMLI in 1918 and subsequently served twenty six years before being invalided out in 1944 after being badly wounded..
I know the RMLI and the RMA combined in - was it 1922 - whatever, to become the Royal Marines, but please can somebody tell me if the RMLI wore a red coat up to date of that amalgamation. With visions of British past glories, then I would love to think of my old dad as having been a 'Redcoat', even if he only got in the act right at the end. Mutton-chop whiskers and a Brown Bess musket would have suited him.

Last edited by johnG; 15-09-10 at 02:09 PM.
Old 15-09-10, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
I have found this post very interesting as my father joined the RMLI in 1918 and subsequently served twenty six years before being invalided out in 1944 after being badly wounded..
I know the RMLI and the RMA combined in - was it 1922 - whatever, to become the Royal Marines, but please can somebody tell me if the RMLI wore a red coat up to date of that amalgamation. With visions of British past glories, then I would love to think of my old dad as having been a 'Redcoat', even if he only got in the act right at the end. Mutton-chop whiskers and a Brown Bess musket would have suited him.
I think that the RMLI wore a "Redcoat", as they were nicknamed "Red Marines.

The RMA were the "Blue Marines" and, I assume, wore a blue coat.
Old 15-09-10, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond hammond View Post
Can any of you experts identify this uniform please? Is it Roral Marine light Infantry? Many Thanks, Ray
Definitely RMLI by the shoulder straps!
Andy
Old 15-09-10, 05:24 PM

Default RMLI

Thanks BWEF, I am obliged to you for the information. I do recall his favourite necktie was a RMLI one, it had a green background in place of the present RM blue. Now I know more about these things I do wish he was still around.

Last edited by johnG; 15-09-10 at 05:26 PM. Reason: rubbish typing corrected.
Old 15-09-10, 05:34 PM

[QUOTE=johnG;82529]Thanks BWEF, I am obliged to you for the information. I do recall his favourite necktie was a RMLI one, it had a green background in place of the present RM blue. Now I know more about these things I do wish he was still around.[/QUOTE

Have you got a copy of his service record? All the RMLI ones are intact & available via the National Archives - you would find exact info on his Company, service, all ships he served on etc

Andy
Old 15-09-10, 05:41 PM

Default RMLI

Thank you Cossack. Yes, I got hold of a copy of his service record a couple of years ago, and just as you say, complete with all ships he served on, including a draft chit from the 'Royal Oak' just a few weeks before she was scuppered. Fascinating reading.
Old 15-09-10, 05:43 PM

Do you know which Division he was in & what company? Just interested to see if he was in the same as my Great-grandfather & Great-Great-Grandfather - 42 Co. Portsmouth Div
Old 15-09-10, 05:54 PM

Default RMLI

Hi Cossack. He was Chatham Division, and after the Battle of The Atlantic he was in North Africa with MNBDO 2. He crossed over to Sicily, and came a gutsa in Italy in 1943 at the wrong end of a shell, and after that spent months in 15 General (Scottish) Hospital in Cairo before being shipped back to UK.

Incidently, one of my earliest memories is Sunay morning 'Divisons' on the square at Chatham Barracks, and the RM band playing 'Life on The Ocean Waves', the words of which it was obligatory for my sister and I to learn when we were nippers. What a fantastic Corps; I never shaped up for it, and rightly so as, like other fine regiments, they only take the very best.
Old 15-09-10, 05:59 PM

Default RMLI

By way of a Post Script: The RAAC and the BSAP arn't bad outfits either.
Old 15-09-10, 06:00 PM

I just realised you mentioned he joined in 1918, I was mixing him up with the original post of the photo!
Old 19-09-10, 07:06 PM

Thumbs up RMLI uniform

Thankyou Gents for identifying the uniform for me. I knew that my great Uncle served with the RMLI around 1888 because of letters that have survived, and this photo was in a collection of old family photos but had no name on it. and I wondered if it was him, and now you all have confirmed it. In 1895 according to his marriage certificate he was a "ships corporal" which I think are the Navy Police, so he must have transfered to the Royal Navy at some time. The ship he served on whilst in the RMLI was the armoured cruiser HMS Australia.