British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-09-10, 11:02 PM

Default Royal Marine about 1900?

I need help confirming the service my Mothers uncle was in around the beginning of the 1900's. I believe that (Joseph Lane) is in the Royal Marines, and it appears that he is a boy entrant, his hat badge is an anchor, Photo attached.
In a further photo (attached) his collar badges appear to be Harps (Bandsman)? It also shows him with a black button on his jacket I believe this to be a mourning button and will be about 1916, the time of his brother death in France.
In a final group photo, he is in a Band 3rd Left, Back Row, however, it was pointed out that this could not be a marching band due to the types of instruments the band played. Do any lists of bands exist from this period?
I think that he is living / stationed in Portsmouth around 1919 as a document dives his address as ”Westfield Rd Eastney Portsmouth, would this indicate he was shore based?
Thanks in Advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photograph LANE_Joseph 1A.jpg (39.0 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Photograph LANE_Joseph 1B.jpg (37.1 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg Photograph LANE_Joseph 2.jpg (28.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Photograph LANE_Joseph 3.jpg (53.6 KB, 51 views)
Old 29-09-10, 01:37 AM

Hi,
In the first photograph, your man is wearing a 1st pattern Victorian: Naval Yard Police headdress badge - an identical one of these sold in Bosleys on: 30 Apr 2008.
Best regards,
Zob.
Old 29-09-10, 04:15 AM

Hi Zob
The first two pictures show him wearing the uniform of a Royal Naval Bandsman 1890-1903. Pictures 3 and 4 show him to be a member of the Royal Naval School of Music which was formed in 1903 and was based at Eastney.
John
Old 29-09-10, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehouse boy View Post
Hi Zob
The first two pictures show him wearing the uniform of a Royal Naval Bandsman 1890-1903. Pictures 3 and 4 show him to be a member of the Royal Naval School of Music which was formed in 1903 and was based at Eastney.
John
Hi John,
Very interesting and I certainly wouldn't argue the point as I can see there is some discreprency here. However, I've attached a scan of what I believe to be the badge in question in the hope that perhaps it might provoke further analysis amongst our members.
Best regards,
Zob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (76.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 29-09-10, 02:24 PM

Hi Zob
If you can get hold of the book A Life ON THE OCEAN WAVE by John Trendell
on page 31 is the Royal Navy Band on HMS Impregnable 1899 they are all wearing the uniform in your first two pictures with that cap-badge.
The Royal Navy wanted bands for ships Royal Marines had divisional bands which stayed ashore and only went on ships for Royal Tours. And so the Royal Naval School of Music was formed for this roll in 1903 and many Royal Navy Bandsman transfered over to this service.

John

http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/h...cMuseumpt2.htm

Last edited by stonehouse boy; 29-09-10 at 02:44 PM.
Old 29-09-10, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonehouse boy View Post
Hi Zob
If you can get hold of the book A Life ON THE OCEAN WAVE by John Trendell
on page 31 is the Royal Navy Band on HMS Impregnable 1899 they are all wearing the uniform in your first two pictures with that cap-badge.
The Royal Navy wanted bands for ships Royal Marines had divisional bands which stayed ashore and only went on ships for Royal Tours. And so the Royal Naval School of Music was formed for this roll in 1903 and many Royal Navy Bandsman transfered over to this service.

John

http://www.royalmarinesbands.co.uk/h...cMuseumpt2.htm
Hi John,

Absolutely fascinating - I think Bosleys will now have to reappraise their description based on this information, and "Aeroeng" who I believe is the owner of the photographs has found the answer that he is looking for thanks to your unique understanding of this subject. Well done.

Best regards,

Zob.