British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-10-08, 01:26 AM

Default TRFs

Is there a comprehensive listing of all Tactical Recognition Flashes used by the British Army over the last 20 years? I'm particularly interested in those used by the Infantry regts prior to the recent formation of the 'super regiments'.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 01-10-08, 05:40 PM

Default TRF's

Hi,
I would suggest you get hold of Marc J Sherriff's publications. He produced two booklets entitled 'British Army Unit identification Badges of the 1990's (Some a little earlier)' and a supplement to it. I believe these have recently been republished. Apart from DZ patches I don't believe TRFs were worn by the British Army prior to then. DZ's for airborne units are well covered by Charles E Edwards publication 'Drop Zone Flashes of the British Airborne Forces'.

You might also pm '54Bty'.

Hope this helps. Stephen.
Old 01-10-08, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
Is there a comprehensive listing of all Tactical Recognition Flashes used by the British Army over the last 20 years? I'm particularly interested in those used by the Infantry regts prior to the recent formation of the 'super regiments'.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Hello there,

I concur with the comments by BADJEZ. I have both of these publications and without doubt they are really good. They have been republished by the Military Library Research Services Limited. They can be ordered via their web site for total of £30 - good value for money!

You might like to try British Cloth Formation Signs by BL MORRIS. It comes in 3 parts. Part 3 is the one that covers TRFs etc. It is an A4 booklet showing TRFs etc in line drawings with the appropriate remarks on the opposite page. This can be obtained via the web site www.morrismilitaria.co.uk. Another good and useful private publication by an expert collector.

Finally there is a series of wall charts knocking around, published by the MOD(A) showing all the registered and approved TRFs and AFBs. Unfortunately there are some errors on them. So you will probably be better with one of the publications I have listed. If you do find a definitive list please tell us so we can get one!

ORISKANY.
Old 02-10-08, 12:48 AM

Many thanks for the leads, guys -- I'll definitely follow these up.
I've also found a web resource of current TRFs (but nothing earlier) here:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Tactical_Recognition_Flash
(There's also some very useful other information on the forum attached to the above site.)
Old 02-10-08, 04:17 PM

A couple of years ago the Military Historical Society obtained a number of the wall charts refered to in the previous post and send them to members with the Bulletin, one showed the then current TRF`s, mine are on my office wall, interesting that they contained some mistakes.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 02-10-08, 11:52 PM

I've just sent off an order for the Sherriff books from MLRS Books, so thanks again for the replies.
Old 27-03-09, 11:03 PM

The MoD are in the process of updating and republishing three posters

British Army Cap Badges
British Army Formation Flashes
British Army Tactical Recognition Flashes

I am told they are being published very soon.
Old 29-03-09, 09:19 PM

Thanks, Mike -- can you let us know when they come out, and how to get copies (I'm in Australia)?
Old 31-03-09, 09:23 PM

I am trying to get a set for myself at the moment! But I am told they are also to be published a A3 JPEG's on the MOD Site. I will try and find out the URL's for you.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 31-03-09, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
I am trying to get a set for myself at the moment! But I am told they are also to be published a A3 JPEG's on the MOD Site. I will try and find out the URL's for you.

Many thanks!
Old 01-04-09, 05:22 PM

The last time I saw the Cap Badge and Formation sign poster (January 2009) it was still incorrect. The badges being used are in some cases the logo used on letter heads and signs, or the coloured illustration used to register it as a trade mark. The TRF's are those that have been 'Registered' with the ADC, in some cases not those being worn.

The British Army Organisations - Units and Cap Badges Poster

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-04-09, 10:58 AM

I see what you mean -- the badge shown for the QDGs, for example, is a very odd choice!