British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-01-20, 10:09 AM

Default Brass SAS cap badge

Gents, whilst I am fairly well conversant with later anodised and cloth beret SAS badges, I know little about brass examples.

Any comments on the attached, well received ( good, bad or otherwise)

Many thanks chaps

Bess
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200131_093501.jpg (83.5 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 20200131_093450.jpg (71.7 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 20200131_093518.jpg (69.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20200131_093510.jpg (55.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-02-20, 01:48 PM

Hello Bess,

SAS cap badges are an interest of mine but I have to admit I've never been a great fan of the all brass versions with slider. Original bi-metal versions, with slider or lugs, were definitely produced in the 1950s. Many anodised versions are definitely original but if or when they were worn, and by whom, is still debated. Recent versions by Firmin and TKS have NSNs which lend credibility.

The problem with the brass versions is that many are made for the collectors' market. I always work on the principle of 'Never say never' with badges so I will acquire any plausible examples that are reasonably priced to aid research.

There are several features that I am wary of:

1) Badges with soft brass, easily bent, sliders.
2) Non central or non vertical sliders. This can be an indication that the badge didn't originate from a well known manufacturer as these tend to ensure reasonable quality control. (But the odd mis-strike can still slip through the net)
3) Maker marked sliders. I have seen, or own, examples where maker marked, original, hard brass sliders, from cheap scrap badges, have been 'transplanted' onto fake badges. Often the slider is slightly mis-aligned or the hard solder looks a little fresh. (But this can be artificially toned down) There are also a number of badges with no makers' mark that have been stamped with the well-known fake Gaunt London stamp. (There is an excellent thread on the forum featuring this)
4) Some of the copies have been excessively aged. There are practitioners out there who can raise this to an art form and not just with SAS cap badges.
5) The fronts of many of the fakes lack crispness and have flaws. This can be particularly noticeable with the motto lettering.

Your example is what I term the 'long slider' pattern. Totally impractical for wearing correctly, on a beret, as it will sit far too high unless the slider is shortened. This doesn't necessarily indicate a fake badge, SAS or otherwise, but many of the poor quality fakes have this characteristic.

As with all badges, I find the best strategy is to keep an open mind and evaluate each badge on its merits. (Or otherwise!)

All of which doesn't really answer your question which is, presumably, is it a good one? Rather than sit on the fence I'll say your example wouldn't meet my criteria of 'would I bid for it on eBay?', but, of course, that's a personal opinion and I may be wrong. This is an interesting topic and I'm sure others will have some views as well.

Best regards,

Graham
Old 01-02-20, 02:00 PM

Many thanks Graham, all very sound commentary.

This badge is amongst a collection that I made when a boy in the 70's. Most of which came from junk stalls on Brick Lane in Whitechapel, East London on the Sunday market. I have some very early and nice pieces that were obtained probably following house clearances etc for pocket money prices- in those days anyway. Whilst age is no criteria I know, this I've had ages but dont recall exactly where it came from.

The long slider was something I recognised too, when I took it out of the display case that all these badges had been in.

I'll hang on to it for the time being, in the full understanding that it is highly likely to be a copy.

Many thanks Graham for your advice.

I'll PM you when I'm home.

Regards all

Bess
Old 27-02-20, 11:22 AM

Interesting reading re your SAS badge.I have 2 listed in the Replica/Fake section for comments but it was your mention of Brick Lane that sparked my reply as that too was my stomping ground for badges-we probably hovered over the same stalls! I even fly pitched selling a suitcase full of junk with my mum a couple of times! And of course the animal market. Ah -happy days!