British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-21, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Thats quite a difference, I would have expected on such a bulk deal to get an average price at the lower figure.

regards
Simon, I am not complaining about the prices. These are what they were and I have no problem with the prices paid. It is just the number of fakes which is causing me problems especially because it makes every badge in this batch suspect and unless a badge is now confirmed here on the Forum as original, I will treat it as suspect and will return it as I clearly can not rely on the knowledge of the seller. Hence my posting all these badges here on the Forum and being so eager to get 2nd opinions. Cheers, Tom
Old 11-05-21, 11:16 AM

This is all getting very tiresome.

Apparently a ‘good egg’ dealer who has warm reviews on the forum and you’ve done due diligence on has sold you all these badges.

OK you say they’re 90% good but on 200 odd badges that is still a lot of obvious fakes and repros. If they’re charging up to £12 for a common infantry badge they’re taking you for a ride on price too.

Very clearly they are either not as competent or honest as you think.

By saying you’re not naming them until you conclude your business it’s a case of - I’m alright Jack. Rather than shining a light on who’s done this and stopping it happening to someone else who may do what you did and approach them by email etc.

Frankly the discussion yay or nay on 200 badges isn’t particularly engaging. Nor is constantly flogging the thread for more responses. You then hold a poll - this person says these are real and these are fake any more takers please. As Bewley said I do think the volume of your requests and nagging is taking advantage of members goodwill.

No you’ve not done anything wrong per se but this is all very laborious and cloak and dagger. You’re not trying to help anyone, just taking.

As Hoot said, you pays your money you take your chances.

Bye.
Old 11-05-21, 12:15 PM

Luke,

I am sorry to see that you seem intent to paint this whole thing in dark colours for whatever reason. I like so many people am trying to get some help on a Forum to seperate good from bad items as is done on fora all over the world. This is quite a normal thing and I on other fora have helped out a lot of collectors with their queries if this was in a field in which I am at home.

What I grant you is the extra-ordinary number of badges I have asked an opinion on. Considering there are several fakes among these, not a strange thing to ask. If this has ruffled your feathers than I am sorry about that - as I stated above. I have absolutely no interest in drawing this out and only gave some context on the deal behind these badges as others were asking me about it, and keep asking me about it. No more no less.

What I do not understand is how you so easily dismiss the fact that I am dependent on a dealer to reimburse me for my fake items and that bleating his name all over the internet is not in my best interest. I am pretty sure that most people who have a couple of thousand pounds at stake (for over 200 badges) prefer to tread carefully seeing as their money is at stake. Looking at it from this perspective I would expect a little bit of understanding for the situation I am in.

As for helping other people I am happy to help others but in this case I am the one who needs help and there is little I can do to help when I need others to tell me if something is good or bad. Although someone here on the forum approached me on a particular badge that he was still missing and that was among the ones I had and asked me if I would mind selling it to him. I responded that I would be willing to help him out by trading this badge with him after this whole vetting thing was over so he could complete his variant collection. Happy to help out where I can to no benefit to myself. I would have done the same for you since you expressed an interest in one of my badges.

Seriously I have done nothing other than buy a batch of badges at what I thought was a trustworthy dealer and asking opinions on these on the forum. THAT IS ALL. Luke, why this is an issue for you or why this is becoming unfriendly I have no idea. All I know is this is making me sad and what I was hoping to be a possitive collecting experience in a new area of collecting for me is turning into the opposite.

Tom

Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 11-05-21 at 01:08 PM.
Closed Thread