British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-10, 08:18 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Thanks Alan.

Yout first paragraph has highlighted my whole arguement, that is all I was complaining about, several experienced members agreed wih me but I am still irked that people who should know better, couldn't see it, probably more interested in making money than the truth.

Again thanks to you all.

Dave.
Old 29-03-10, 09:23 AM
peter616

Alan, documentary evidence for the Y& L all cast brass WW2 badge can be found in the battalion diaries of the 8th & 9th Battalions Y & L. These state that in 1942 & 1943 the men were allowed to purchase badges in the bazzars; due to lack of equipment they were allowed to buy both clothing & badges there. If you would like to check, I think the pages are March or April of those years. I would suggest to a lot of people to read the battalion diaries as they make very interesting reading. In the case of the Y & L diaries of which I have copies, they tell of unofficial badges being worn & how the dress regulations are not enforced for the sake of morale, especially in the harsh theatres of war, i.e. Gallipoli, India & particularly, Burma.
Thanks Bill, for clarifying that there is an all brass Black Watch badge & that it was worn by the Canadians.
Peter
Old 29-03-10, 09:46 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter616 View Post
Alan, documentary evidence for the Y& L all brass WW2 badge can be found in the battalion diaries of the 8th & 9th Battalions Y & L. These state that in 1942 & 1943 the men were allowed to purchase badges in the bazzars; due to lack of equipment they were allowed to buy both clothing & badges there. If you would like to check, I think the pages are March or April of those years. I would suggest to a lot of people to read the battalion diaries as they make very interesting reading. In the case of the Y & L diaries of which I have copies, they tell of unofficial badges being worn & how the dress regulations are not enforced for the sake of morale, especially in the harsh theatres of war, i.e. Gallipoli, India & particularly, Burma.
Thanks Bill, for clarifying that there is an all brass Black Watch badge & that it was worn by the Canadians.
Peter
Peter,
I'm confused! Now you are saying that the "All Brass" Y&L is a WW2 creation? Do you now admit it was not a WW1 economy badge? Also theatre produced badges were often sand cast or of poor quality and easy to spot, the fake Y&L doing the rounds are die struck.

Andy
Old 29-03-10, 09:59 AM
peter616

Alan, documentary evidence for the Y& L all cast brass WW2 badge (some poor and some v good quality)can be found in the battalion diaries of the 8th & 9th Battalions Y & L. These state that in 1942 & 1943 the men were allowed to purchase badges in the bazzars; due to lack of equipment they were allowed to buy both clothing & badges there. If you would like to check, I think the pages are March or April of those years. I would suggest to a lot of people to read the battalion diaries as they make very interesting reading. In the case of the Y & L diaries of which I have copies, they tell of unofficial badges being worn & how the dress regulations are not enforced for the sake of morale, especially in the harsh theatres of war, i.e. Gallipoli, India & particularly, Burma.
Peter
Old 29-03-10, 10:48 AM
Former Member

Vincent may have been out on his WW1 EI Black Watch, but this Royal Scots is good, with a gap above St A's head, the ONLY Scottish Infantry WW1 all GM issue badge!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=18922

Andy
Old 29-03-10, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter616 View Post
Alan, documentary evidence for the Y& L all cast brass WW2 badge (some poor and some v good quality)can be found in the battalion diaries of the 8th & 9th Battalions Y & L. These state that in 1942 & 1943 the men were allowed to purchase badges in the bazzars; due to lack of equipment they were allowed to buy both clothing & badges there. If you would like to check, I think the pages are March or April of those years. I would suggest to a lot of people to read the battalion diaries as they make very interesting reading. In the case of the Y & L diaries of which I have copies, they tell of unofficial badges being worn & how the dress regulations are not enforced for the sake of morale, especially in the harsh theatres of war, i.e. Gallipoli, India & particularly, Burma.
Peter

Peter,

I am sure that there are lots of examples of sand cast and bazaar badges that were worn and I fully agree that these are 'real' WW1 and WW2 'unofficial' badges which were accepted for wear by the regts. However none of these were produced under ACD contracts and as such they remain 'unofficial'.

However, to describe such badges as belonging to a particular Bn and pricing them accordingly is suspect. In a similiar vein this is exactly why I really disagree with Ww2 plastics (SStaffs/RUR/Border/Kings own) being sold as 'Airborne' Badges when in fact they were worn by many more non-airborne bns. Unfortunately many SF and AB collectors seem to take leave of their senses and buy them at inflated prices. I have a plastic Devonshire badge but I would never describe it as a 12th bn Glider-borne regt badge as there is no such thing and at least another 11 Bns plus, HG plus others who also wore it. A false market has been created by misleading information on the part of the sellers.

Alan

Tags
42nd, all brass, black watch, economy