British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-08-14, 02:32 AM

Default No3 Commando (Brown Polished)

hello all

I recently picked up this nice pair: very interested in peoples thoughts, or any reasoning behind or if anyone has seen this done before!!

Insignia Cloth British - British WWII No. 3 Commando Arcs, pair: Original era manufacture. Nice vintage looking pair which have been removed from a uniform. Dark red embroidery on a dark blue wool cloth. Brown polished cotton reverse. Normal age and wear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1781.jpg (46.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1779.jpg (48.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 01-08-14, 07:17 AM

Hello Ted
It would be interesting to learn more about these - the more I look at them the more it appears it is the 'black' gauze backing that has had some reaction or treatment. The back of the red cotton letters/numerals do not appear to be affected. If it had been 'polished' you would have thought the whole reverse would have an 'overall' coating. Unless it is thought to be some part of the manufacturing process for the gauze backing only. Brown polish too - again you would perhaps have thought black more likely if anything. An interesting talking point and looking forward to hearing more ideas.

Is the gauze made more stiff by the 'polish'? - it looks fairly pliable in the image

Regards
Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 01-08-14 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-08-14, 11:46 AM

Hi guys
I think we’re getting our knickers in a twist here in the seller’s description of ‘polished cotton’, it’s just a type of cotton, I don’t think it is meant that someone’s put boot polish on it!! See here:
http://www.ehow.com/about_6388274_po...n-fabric_.html

I’m with you Mike in that it looks like the common black backed pattern that has somehow bean bleached, either by a liquid reaction or just light. There are a few example around in different stages of fading/bleaching, such as:
http://www.staticline-military.com/e...ndo-title.html

There’s even one in your album Ted:
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=14111

Nice pair of badges though, well done!

Cheers
Paul
Old 01-08-14, 02:37 PM

Paul
Thanks for the 'Forensic' response - something it is useful to know more about given the large number of reproduction items that appear. A useful posting, thanks too to Ted for starting this.
Mike