British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-07-13, 09:44 PM

Default "Cambridgshire" variant spelling

Hi guys

I've come across two variants of the Cambridgeshire Regiment badge, one without the "e", i.e. "Cambridgshire". It looked kosher to me.

Can anyone tell me whether this is considered a genuine variant, and if so, if it is post 1920 or earlier?

Thanx

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 08-07-13, 12:16 AM

Hi Colin
Yes don't worry it's genuine alright there are two type's with and without the e. I have one of each in my collection.I think the one without is less common but not rare.
All the best Neil
Old 08-07-13, 05:35 AM

I believe the home guard had it issued to them in the 2nd W.W. but am sure the missing "E" wasnt intentional had to use the badges somewhere!
Sonofacqms will be the person to speak to I think? there is also a Cambridgeshire wit a voided gate! (this and the missing "E" are on my to find list"
All the best billy
Old 08-07-13, 04:04 PM

Smile Cambs variants

In reply to the different Cambridgeshire variations regarding spelling, the 1st Btn were stationed at Weeting Hall in 1940 when a consignment of replacement badges appeared and were issued.

After a day or so someone noticed that these had the "e" missing and they were duly recalled and issued to the Home Guard and probably to cadet units. As to the latter, I would be interested in finding out whether this was the case if anyone knows for sure.

As for the voided gate, I think this was the product of idle hands and an embellishment to an original badge, in all the years I have been collecting badges which is over sixty years, I have never seen this variation, but as with all badge collecting, "never say never".

Rob
Old 08-07-13, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the replies!

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 10-07-13, 11:11 AM

Default Cambridgshire

I'm unable to verify this but I was told that the badge was produced after the loss of 1st and 2nd Bn at Singapore. The 'e' was deliberately omitted when the badge was re-struck for issue to HG and ACF. The idea was to remind everyone that something was missing from Cambridgeshire: the PoW.

Stephen.
Old 10-07-13, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

An urban myth I would suggest but a nice story all the same. The plastic badge made late war has the e.
Old 10-07-13, 09:10 PM

Cool Badge myths . . !

I to have heard this story of the missing "E" to commemorate the surrender of both Btns, however as Alan says it is just that, a story.

My late Father-in Laws cap badge without the "E" adorns a photo of him in uniform, I think this was one badge that was not collected at Weeting Hall.

Rob