British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-05-22, 02:31 PM

Default 27th Lancers

Hi, would anyone be able to post photos of the back of the elephants head on a Firmin marked 27th Lancers cap badge please. I've seen the rear of the flat backed examples with the vertical braizing hole but not the die stamped one with strengthening wires where you can see more detail on the lance pennons (do these also have a braizing hole?). Any help would be much appreciated, regards,

Paul
Old 29-05-22, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

The ORs' badges did not have overlaid pennons but the officers' ones were made with them.

There have been fakes of them with lugs and strengtheners.
Old 29-05-22, 05:44 PM

Thanks for the reply Alan, I'm referring to the ORs version with pennons in all gilding metal and slider, there seems to be two versions of this badge, one die cast with a flat back and vertical brazing hole to the rear of the elephants head. The second version is die stamped so that you can see the detail on the reverse of the pennons. My query is, does the second version have a brazing hole to the rear of the elephants head or is it flat or 'dish' shaped, I can't find a photo to confirm either way, regards

Paul
Old 02-06-22, 01:51 AM

I have a Firmin marked example with slider as described in your second version. The slider is in the way and so photos would not reveal enough, but the back of the elephant's head is dish-shaped and I'm pretty sure there's a brazing hole as well.
Old 02-06-22, 01:42 PM

Thanks very much for the reply, it's really helpful, regards

Paul
Old 20-06-22, 06:50 PM

Hi Paul,

If I understand the question correctly, you are referring to the Firmin unmarked and marked 27L ORs badges, like the two examples in these images?

Best,

Marcus
Old 20-06-22, 10:06 PM

Hi Marcus,
That's exactly the images I was looking for, thanks very much for that mate, and thanks for posting the comparison photos of the two variations, all the best

Paul
Old 22-06-22, 09:20 PM

Out of interest, would anyone know why there are two variants of this badge by the same maker? It seems an unusual occurrence and as far as I'm aware doesn't happen with any of the other war raised cavalry units other then the Indian locally made badges.