British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-08-08, 07:03 AM

Default 10th Liverpool Scottish 'Bomb throwers' badge.

Has anyone seen or heard of the 'Bomb throwers' badge to this regiment ?
It has been described to me as similar to the RMF bomb badge with obviously a different central device on the bomb. Can anyone show one ?
Also, in the same vien and to the same regiment, though I can't even describe it , because no-one I know has seen one, but they also wore a 'Snipers' badge, too.
I believe they were worn on the arm/sleeve.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
STM.
Old 10-08-08, 07:07 AM

Peter's your man for these as he has one. They were ordered by the CO in 1916 as, I think, a unit purchase but they were made by Gaunts. One sold at Bosleys a year or so ago (?) for a fortune.
Never heard of the snipers one - maybe P has - sounds interesting.
Julian
Old 10-08-08, 07:46 AM

Thank you Julian,
I can see it in PB's album !
I can't make out the detailing, though, it looks all brass.
2 recently sold over in Liverpool for £50 each, I have been told.
Was it a 'special' unit or open to all, I wonder ?
Julian, when you say made by Gaunt, does that mean all the badges themselves are marked, I imagine they were lugged ?
STM.
Old 10-08-08, 09:27 AM

The badge is mentioned ( but not illustrated ) in Edwards and Langley page 63.
I will post a scan of the page and a better picture of the badge later.I think I also have a photo of the badge being worn.

If anyone has bought one recently for £50 they got a bargain.

The reference to badges for snipers,scouts and bombers in Edwards and Langley is a quote from the CO`s diary .The Curator fo the LS museum told me some time ago that they have not been able positively identify the design of the badges for snipers and scouts reffered to in the diary.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 10-08-08, 10:17 AM

Excellent, thank's Peter.
I don't know who it was who bought them, but I heard second hand it was Bill Tagg who sold them after finding both in an old box of buttons !!
Is this true, or one of those little wind-ups that go on between dealer's and collector's, I couldn't say for sure, but I would love to see a close up of it as I have never seen one before and, as it appears to be one of the very few special arm badges worn by the Infantry - as oppossed to the more usual skill and trade badges of crossed flags, guns and spanners, etc - I find it most interesting.
Thank's, STM.
Old 10-08-08, 05:06 PM

STM,

If Bill Tagg sold one of these for £50 he must have been having an off day, and it was someones lucky day.

I am attaching a better photo and adding one to my album. The badge has lugs north and south and a Gaunt tablet top the rear ( will post a picture of the rear next time I open the frame ).

Peter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8141.jpg (84.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8154.jpg (50.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8150.jpg (42.5 KB, 39 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 10-08-08, 06:18 PM

Great photo's, Peter, thank's for showing them.
I look forward to seeing the back view of this very interesting badge.
Do you know of any other out of the ordinary arm badges worn by the King's, or indeed any other Infantry regt ?
I have only really associated the more unique metal arm badges with the Cavalry and Yeomanry - until now.
STM.
Old 10-08-08, 06:29 PM

STM,

The short answer is no , but I do have a reference somewhere to the pre 1926 collar badge being worn as an NCO`s arm badge which I will try and locate.

I think this has been mentioned on a thread here before.

Peter

I have now found the reference it is in The Kingsman" Vol 2 No.1 December 1929 in an article titled " Uniform Worn by the 8th Kings at the period of Campaign in Afganistan 1878-80"

It says" The NCO`s badges on khaki were red and sergeants wore upon their chevrons a white horse collar badge"

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 10-08-08 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-08-08, 05:21 PM

Peter,
Did the 8th wear a white horse collar or was it from the regular battalion ?
Is it a different pattern to rearing horse and wavy scroll ?
STM.
PS: You were right BT didn't have an off day, I got told this morning he sold the Bombers for £300. Nothing worse than gossip, is there !!!
Old 11-08-08, 05:51 PM

STM,
I bought my first sword ( a rifle pattern one ) from Billy Tagg at the Liverpool Show about 40 years ago, so I have known him for some time,and whilst I understand that Japanese Swords are his main area of expertise ,I could not imagine him underselling Liverpool items to the degree suggested on the earlier post. ( there is a lot of winding people up in this hobby particularly amongst acquaintances I suppose its all part of the game)

I dont have any further information on the badge worn on the Sgts chevrons ( a picture is what is needed ) but I presume it was the pre 1926 regulars collar badge.

Regards

Peter

Old 11-08-08, 06:17 PM

Thank's Peter,
He's as sharp as those swords he sells
I'm going to try and find out about the collar badge and if I discover anything, I'll let you know.
Thank's again, STM.
Old 11-08-08, 06:23 PM

It depends on what date this arm badge was worn. Churchill (2000, 46) refers to pattern 9525/1872 being worn by serjeants on their rank chevrons as late as 1896. He doesn't give any reference for this but by 1896 they were wearing a new - but very similar - pattern (9880B/1895) which superseded the 'rose type (pattern 9880/1881) approved on 19.11.1895 but sealed 7.1.1896.

Yes, it would be good to find a contemporary photograph.
Old 24-09-08, 10:09 PM

Sorry to butt in but this has been an excellent thread, just why i joined the forum.
Bill.