British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-06-22, 08:52 PM

Default Unknown Maker

Hail Forum,

Having yesterday established beyond all reasonable doubt, thanks to the kind assistance of forum members, that the initial on the slider below is the letter 'G', I wonder if further help might be requested in relation to the following maker, supplier, tailor, outfitter etc?

The stamped maker mark says 'G REEVES LONDON' and is, to date, the only example I have encountered other than on the slider of a National Defence Company badge, which appeared on eBay (see attachments below):

JT G Reeves Slider Mark 1.jpg

JT G Reeves Slider Mark 2.jpg

JT G Reeves Lamb a.jpg JT G Reeves Lamb b.jpg

eBay NDC.jpg *

Does anybody have info as to this maker mark, please? I know for a fact that the Queen's badge is kosher, but the EVIIIR NDC badge is not one I am familiar with.

I am aware of the fake 'Charles Reeves' maker mark, covered brilliantly in Luke H's posts within this thread: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=81809 hence the reason I thought it prudent first to establish that the Queen's slider mark was not an abbreviated version of that, but a separate body.

Your thoughts appreciated.

Regards,

JT

*eBay image

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 09-06-22 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-06-22, 09:07 PM

Brilliant, well done

(though my interest doesn't extend to buttons - but good luck)
Old 09-06-22, 09:26 PM

Afraid I have no info on the mark or company JT. Agree it’s G Reeves London, not one I recall seeing before.

Can confirm the EviiiR NDC is a genuine one.

Perhaps it’s no coincidence both badges are heavily stained and look somewhat messed with. I suspect the marks were added to both sliders post manufacture.
Old 09-06-22, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
Brilliant, well done

(though my interest doesn't extend to buttons - but good luck)
[Thanks button]
Old 09-06-22, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Afraid I have no info on the mark or company JT. Agree it’s G Reeves London, not one I recall seeing before.

Can confirm the EviiiR NDC is a genuine one.

Perhaps it’s no coincidence both badges are heavily stained and look somewhat messed with. I suspect the marks were added to both sliders post manufacture.
Yeah; the apparent absence of info connected with this mark doesn't bode well for it being legit, does it.

As Julian (I believe) alludes to, I seem to recall one or two of the forum button aficionados posting reeves-marked buttons previously. No idea if they were Reeves, G Reeves, C Reeves or other.

JT
Old 09-06-22, 09:59 PM

I believe it was member kingsley who showed what I can only describe as several artisan fake makers marks stamped on genuine Australian Rising Sun badges to presumably increase their desirability. Sadly that thread is gone.

The font was more convincing than many shown in the fake makers marks thread you linked in post #1. The forged FN mark lettering was slightly misaligned and an extra full stop present. It became apparent the letters of these marks had been stamped individually by hand.

Looking closely at your G Reeves marks you can see differences I think in the letter positions relative to each other and also the linearity of the mark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1DF5F435-C8D3-43FC-8F87-7DA9CF661593.jpeg (11.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg F6CE7FB3-7309-409C-900B-14721576CB1A.jpeg (34.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-06-22, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I believe it was member kingsley who showed what I can only describe as several artisan fake makers marks stamped on genuine Australian Rising Sun badges to presumably increase their desirability. Sadly that thread is gone.

The font was more convincing than many shown in the fake makers marks thread you linked in post #1. The forged FN mark lettering was slightly misaligned and an extra full stop present. It became apparent the letters of these marks had been stamped individually by hand.

Looking closely at your G Reeves marks you can see differences I think in the letter positions relative to each other and also the linearity of the mark.
That's interesting. Thank you.

Knowing that the Queen's badge is a legitimate example (despite it being possibly the most poorly-executed variant of all the Pattern 4681/1898 badges), and that I have several other examples from that particular die with no such stamp, certainly adds credence to your assertion that the mark was added post-manufacture.

Great stuff.

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 09-06-22 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-06-22, 05:21 AM

Is it possible its the name of the wearer, who for some reason owned a stamp with his name on it? Did these badges come from the same source?

Rob
Old 10-06-22, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Is it possible its the name of the wearer, who for some reason owned a stamp with his name on it? Did these badges come from the same source?

Rob
Rob,

No, not from the same source. The Queen’s badge is from my collection, whereas the HDC badge is from an eBay listing.

JT

Tags
g reeves, reeves, slider