British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-04-22, 06:03 PM

Default Devon & Dorset Uniform

I bought this last week because I'm still trying to understand the Devon & Dorset's period which is beyond my main interests.

It was cheap and I probably will move it on once I've leaned what I can from it.

I was concerned about the 19mm buttons down the front, but a large button won't actually fit through the button holes so perhaps that's correct?

The Buttons are D&D but the collars are Dorset? WM (not AA), one has a single loop the other two??

The shoulder straps have green edging just as the backing on the WO's Crown sewn to the sleeve and the stripes I found in the pocket, but its a Kings Crown?

Is Green backing/edging correct for Dorset, Devon or Devon & Dorset?

Is the red stripe down the trouser leg correct for a non "Royal" Regiment?

All opinions welcome.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dd3.jpg (36.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0007.jpg (87.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0009.jpg (66.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0008.jpg (82.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg dd2.jpg (20.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg dd1.jpg (22.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 25-04-22, 07:51 PM

19mm button would be correct. Thats the medium size.
Green edging and backings is also correct.
The collar badges is an interesting one. If i recall correctly,the anodised Dorset collars were used by the TA. So white metal is correct. The single lug and double lug is odd but they look the same .
Old 26-04-22, 06:07 AM

Thanks for the reply Mike.

If this is all correct then it appears this man was a war Veteran still serving at least 12 years on (1957 uniform).

To be wearing Dorset collar badges at this time, was he a Territorial? if so I'm surprised he's not wearing Dorset buttons too?

And the Kings Crown WOs badge does seem to have been applied long after 1952?

Rob
Old 26-04-22, 10:44 AM

Ref the crown ,could be that it wasnt changed or its been added after. I did see an RSMs jacket to the Light Infantry with the old and new patterns of rank badge on each sleeve.

Could well be TA ,i think the 2 TA battalions stayed separate. The buttons,well either added after or they didnt have any Dorset buttons so used the nearest. Esp if its gone off to an MOD tailor,probaly saw Dorset and presumed D&D.
Old 26-04-22, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

When the D&D were formed in 1958 the TA continued to wear their old designs until 1969 when they became the Wessex Regt and wore Wessex Dragon buttons. This continued until the Wessex Regt itself was disbanded in the 1990s.

So the tunic has mismatched WW2 ribbons with Dorset collars (themselves mismatched) and Regular D&D buttons. If he was TA then I would expect a TD after such long service.

Some one has incorrectly replaced/added some / all of the insignia to make up a complete tunic.

Sorry but it's at best a bad restoration effort.
Old 26-04-22, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
If he was TA then I would expect a TD after such long service.

TD was an officers award, Warrant Officers, NCOs and ORs were awarded the Efficiency Medal (Territorial) - the EM (T).

Could have been an ex regular soldier who joined the TA and never completed the 12 years required as a Territorial, for the award of the EM (T)

Paul
Old 26-04-22, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
When the D&D were formed in 1958 the TA continued to wear their old designs until 1969 when they became the Wessex Regt and wore Wessex Dragon buttons. This continued until the Wessex Regt itself was disbanded in the 1990s.

So the tunic has mismatched WW2 ribbons with Dorset collars (themselves mismatched) and Regular D&D buttons. If he was TA then I would expect a TD after such long service.

Some one has incorrectly replaced/added some / all of the insignia to make up a complete tunic.

Sorry but it's at best a bad restoration effort.
Thank you for the replies.

I had suspected it wasn't right when I bought it but I thought it was worth the price in parts if necessary, and I know you meant to type Wyvern instead of Dragon Alan.

How many different coloured edging are there to the shoulder straps on these No.1 Dress Jackets, interestingly the label doesn't seem to differentiate?

Rob
Old 26-04-22, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Rob

Absolutley right I meant the 2 legged dragon thingy! I suspect the Dorset buttons and collars were removed long ago either by the original owner for re-use or by a collector and then the others added back on in place of the correct ones when it was being sold on. It's not uncommon to see.

The issued jackets are a standard pattern and then tailored by the regimental tailors.
Alan
Old 26-04-22, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post

How many different coloured edging are there to the shoulder straps on these No.1 Dress Jackets, interestingly the label doesn't seem to differentiate?

Rob
Certainly theres Red-some infantry and corps ,i think yellow-RAPC,green.
Im sure there are others too.
Old 16-05-22, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Thank you for the replies.

I had suspected it wasn't right when I bought it but I thought it was worth the price in parts if necessary, and I know you meant to type Wyvern instead of Dragon Alan.

Rob
The shoulder straps were fitted regimentally Rob. The Royal regiments all had scarlet piping, non Royal and some special dispensation Royal regiments an authorised facing colour piping, and the various service support corps similarly. For example the Royal Army Pay Corps yellow and the Army Catering Corps grey. All these facing colours were agreed in an administrative instruction or general order (I forget which) in 1947 if I recall correctly. It was in its own way quite monumental because it also swept away the old ‘full dress’ (which was still optional for officers) description that used to appear in the Annual Army List and replaced it with this new scheme.
Old 16-05-22, 04:29 PM

Thank you all for the replies, at least I have learned a few things from this item.

Not sure what to do with it though, I'm not feeling all that inclined to break it up so I will probably try to get my £20 back when I next have a stall somewhere.

Rob