British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-22, 09:57 AM

Default Collecting pairs of badges

I would welcome members thoughts on collecting pairs of badge such as cloth shoulder titles, slip-ons, metal titles, formation signs and non matching collar badges.

I have for years collected pairs of the above and I do wonder whether this is a bit over the top, I may decide to split up my pairs and move them on depending on members advice.

Rob
Old 10-05-22, 10:07 AM

Its a very good question and I imagine there will be members that do both.

When I was collecting cloth formation badges on several occasions I split up a pair, one to keep one to move on.

With my Devon collection I'm still trying to complete pairs of collars and shoulder titles.

With my button collection I collect pairs of cap buttons but not large or medium buttons even if they are the screw backed epaulette types.

So a yes no poll wouldn't help me.

Rob
Old 10-05-22, 10:30 AM

I collect pairs, with one the right way round, the other has the backing on show
Old 10-05-22, 10:30 AM

Many members do both as Rob Miller states.

It would be a shame to split up matching pairs as that is what most collectors of pairs strive for.

I don’t think there’s any harm breaking up your non-matching collars.
Old 10-05-22, 11:52 AM

I collected pairs of shoulder titles in metal, but then after years of displaying them, thought it was a little pointless as they were both identical and sold one half off, which I dont regret and used the cash to buy different badges.

So I had both opinions at various times.

As for collars I think they should be in pairs because of the facing pair v matching pair issues, so that you always have 2 of each, rather than 2 of facing pairs and just one of matching pairs.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 10-05-22, 03:00 PM

Default Pairs of badges

Thanks chaps for your replies, food for thought . . !

Rob
Old 10-05-22, 03:38 PM

I generally do not collect collars and STs, but have always striven to get pairs when they do come about, with the exception of Indian Army, wherein singles are usually the best one can hope for.
I too would not recommend breaking up matching pairs.

CB
Old 10-05-22, 04:06 PM

I have more than 550 pairs of facing and matching collar badges but I also have about 100 single collar badges that I am seeking the 'other half'. Some of these I have had for more than 30 years!

As for shoulder titles in cloth and metal I only collect single examples.

Tim
Old 10-05-22, 04:55 PM

Yes, an excellent question and one I've asked myself many times. I am quite happy with a single, and due to funds restrictions that is more accessible for me. However, if I get a set/matched pair I don't break them up, but usually find that I only display my single's.

If I have something that is a named grouping that has a pair, then I do display them with the other items in the grouping. If possible I also love to put a picture of the person and their autograph all in the same frame, or to at least know their name.

Terry
Old 10-05-22, 05:48 PM

I would always try and get a set of collar dogs and very rarely ever buy a single, however more than comfortable with single shoulder emblems.

I try and display a set of collar dogs wit the cap badge.

Regards Ian
Old 10-05-22, 09:05 PM

I try to get pairs if I can, for titles and collars, div signs as well if possible, but I buy singles as well. Some of the metal shoulder titles are pricy & uncommonly seen which makes getting pairs difficult. That said, there are always some harder to get badges in all these categories, titles, collars etc...

Jerry
Old 10-05-22, 09:50 PM

Again food for thought . . !

I think if I do decide to move any cloth shoulder titles, slip-ons, metal titles, formation signs and non matching collar badges I will start with units that our families have not served in, this would involve Regiments and Corps that would go back to before the Great War.

Many years ago I decided to only collect cap badges, so I sold my shoulder titles and collar badges to a lady who had an antique shop in Cambridge, there were a few "T" titles and even better an "AMR" title, I have never replaced it in over fifty years, I have the cap badges in OSD and gold gilt, but never seen a title which is why I am weighing up the options.

Thanks again Rob
Old 11-05-22, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I would welcome members thoughts on collecting pairs of badge such as cloth shoulder titles, slip-ons, metal titles, formation signs and non matching collar badges.

I have for years collected pairs of the above and I do wonder whether this is a bit over the top, I may decide to split up my pairs and move them on depending on members advice.

Rob
Hi Rob

I tend to collect all badges by the number worn. Cap badges as one but all variants/makers, Collar and shoulder badges as pairs but again with all variants and makers.
Arm badges are collected as they were worn, if worn on one arm i buy single but if worn on both arms I buy a pair.

Regards

Ian
Old 11-05-22, 10:25 AM

There is no right or wrong, its personal choice and of course availability and cost.

As I said previously I sold one half of my identical metal shoulder titles to the Manchester Regiment and got a lot of money back into the kitty.

I have over 50 different ones to the Regiment. It all adds up.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 11-05-22, 11:24 AM

Default Pairs of titles

Of course when it comes to "T" titles there are all sorts of variations, large and small "T"'s as well as the lower title which can also vary.

To say the least, it's a growing problem and one I only really noticed when I started re-carding my badges. I will have a think of what to dispose of first.

Thanks again for your advice, work in progress . . !

Rob