British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-11-13, 12:16 PM

Default First World Grave Robbers

First World War grave robbers: this nasty trade is growing as the 1914 anniversary approaches.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technol...ry-approaches/
Old 11-11-13, 12:23 PM

"... they recently caught a man with the contents of "an entire abandoned British field hospital" which he had illicitly excavated in the back of his car"

Wonder what else he found in the back of his car...

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 11-11-13, 12:51 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

I have got the impression from posts on this and other forums about "battlefield collecting" and the relics found, that its a perfectly acceptable way of life for some people... Whats the difference between the two.... Common sense tells me (at least) that any battlefield is going to contain body parts/bones etc turning up as much as insignia does - so you keep the insignia and sell it, but leave the rest. Personally, I would prefer that "battlefield relic collecting" should be illegal unless its done officially for the purposes of giving the remains - and their uniforms/insignia - whatever a decent burial.
Mind you, divers search around sunken war time ships for "collecting/profit making purposes" - must be something in it - oh, money. What a way to run a business. As you may have guessed I am totally against the practice, but lots of others arn't. Now on to ebay for the next "relic dug" item......Not.
Rant over. Disgusted from Dudelange. And yes, I have visited some battlefields, but not with a metal detector or bucket and spade.
Old 11-11-13, 01:22 PM

One of the worst aspects is the removal of personalized items which could identify an individual. That might have been the only chance of giving them and their family a named grave.
Also, once any item is removed without meticulous recording of position, depth, etc, it looses it's archaeological value, and becomes simply an historical artifact. That's why it's so important to keep things in situ, so professionals can reconstruct the past from the context in which it was found.

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 11-11-13, 01:30 PM
Banned

This subject comes up every year and often throws up some interesting discussions with most agreeing that the practice of grave robbing is something that leaves a bad taste.

From the tone of the article that was linked to it seems that collectors of militaria in general are held in low regard which is a shame as although there is a shady side most collectors I know are decent folk on the whole.

On the subject of ground dug Great War artefacts there was an interesting feature on last night's episode of 'Countryfile' that some may enjoy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03j4y40

Ry
Old 11-11-13, 02:48 PM

It take all sorts to make the world. The people who are doing this now have no appreciation of the sacrifices made which allow them to live in a free world. Their parents would no doubt be horrified.

It's nothing new though. Battlefield scavengers have existed since time immemorial. As always it's the thought of something for nothing which drives them. In wartime some of them were shot, summarily executed. In peacetime we can only hope to catch them and make them pay for their crimes.
Old 11-11-13, 05:27 PM

"Waterloo Teeth"

'Nuff said.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 12-11-13, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
"Waterloo Teeth"

'Nuff said.

Phil
Spot on. And it was acceptable in its time!
Old 12-11-13, 09:53 AM

19th century grave robbing, Saxon burials and ancient Egyptian tombs, its not just military graves that have been targeted over time. Its all a disgrace. imo.
Old 12-11-13, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
19th century grave robbing, Saxon burials and ancient Egyptian tombs, its not just military graves that have been targeted over time. Its all a disgrace. imo.
Yes but it's been a common practice for thousands of years.

I remember whilst in Egypt our guide told us of the village near the Valley of the Kings. He said that some families build their homes over the entrances to tombs unknown to the Director of Antiquities. They make regular forays into the tombs to remove artifacts which they then sell on for good profit. With the money they then open businesses to sell trinkets to tourists.

Sometimes they get caught but it doesn't deter them or others.