British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-03-11, 10:11 PM
Banned

Default 12th Rangers and Bucks Bn badges

Hi gents,

A couple of additions received today that don't yet have an album to reside in.

These were both EBay purchases. The first, from one of the more trusted EBay dealers is a WM Bucks Bn (K&K 1737).
This is a badge that I have been wary of purchasing due to my concerns over fakes given that repros are sold in the Museum.

I will acquire a GM / Brass example eventually but I'm very happy with this WM one to be going on with.

The second badge is a lugged example of the 12th County of London The Rangers (K&K 1835)

I was attracted to this badge due its evident character. The lugs have been removed at what I would judge to be an early point in its history. What I assumed was the addition of a strengthening bar seems to be an attempt at an alternative method of fixing, again carried out early in its history.

It was my intention to send the badge to Dave C to have the lugs replaced but I'm tempted to leave it just the way it is having now seen it in the flesh.

It has a lovely patina and in my opinion, bags of character.

Regards

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 04-06-12 at 03:00 PM.
Old 14-03-11, 10:27 PM
Peter J

Ry,

Both seem to be very nice acquisitions, mate. As you say, bundles of character on the Rangers piece.

That fault on the 12th (either side of the upper arm of the cross and just below the tablet) I have seen before on 6th London badges. I presume it is a die fault?

As for not having an album for them... well I can think of one currently missing a 12th!

About time you got that 'Londons' album up and running.

PJ
Old 14-03-11, 10:38 PM
Banned

HI Peter,

Thanks for the compliments. I agree with your opinion on the die fault. I did look to see if this could have been the result of a repair or the fixing of the central bar. No evidence of either though so the fault must be an original feature.

As for an album, although I do now have quite a few Londons pieces collected for their Green Jacket links, I don't though in my opinion yet have a complete enough collection to warrant an album of them in their own right.

It was my original intention to add these badges to my Rifle Brigade album at some point thus expanding the current theme. I'm still unsure how to proceed on that score so will give it more thought as the collection grows.

Regards

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 17-03-11 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 15-03-11, 09:20 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
HI Peter,

It was my original intention to add these badges to my Rifle Brigade album at some point thus expanding the current theme. I'm still unsure how to proceed on that score so will give it more thought as the collection grows.

Regards

Ry
Just had a good look at the RB album... A brilliant set of photos which will be a big help in research with my own collection... Just shows how many badges i still have to look out for.

Cheers...

Steve.
Old 15-03-11, 10:45 PM
Banned

Hi steve,

Thanks for your kind comment. With regard to the possible number of RB badges to collect, I know exactly how you feel.

It wasn't too long ago that my eyes were opened to the collecting possibilities with regard to the RB badges. That is not including as you know, the two RB London regiments as well as the sister regiments that made up the other elements of The Green Jackets, or indeed the many affiliated units that share an allegience.

My album as it stands was inspired by the collections of two forum members / friends, initially through material kindly sent to me by one member as part of a related request and subsequently by the encouragement of another member who at the time had a very nice RB album on the forum.

There is still much scope for addition and attention is also required in the area of the sealed pattern documentation. Something again that not so long ago I wouldn't have envisaged myself attempting but I have also recieved valuable help in that area. I will at some not too distant point in time make a concerted effort to get to grips with completing that task.

I'm pleased to hear that my RB album may be of some help with your own collection, the very best of luck with it.

Regards

Ry
Old 16-03-11, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Hi steve,

Thanks for your kind comment. With regard to the possible number of RB badges to collect, I know exactly how you feel.

It wasn't too long ago that my eyes were opened to the collecting possibilities with regard to the RB badges. That is not including as you know, the two RB London regiments as well as the sister regiments that made up the other elements of The Green Jackets, or indeed the many affiliated units that share an allegience.

My album as it stands was inspired by the collections of two forum members / friends, initially through material kindly sent to me by one member as part of a related request and subsequently by the encouragement of another member who at the time had a very nice RB album on the forum.

There is still much scope for addition and attention is also required in the area of the sealed pattern documentation. Something again that not so long ago I wouldn't have envisaged myself attempting but I have also recieved valuable help in that area. I will at some not too distant point in time make a concerted effort to get to grips with completing that task.

I'm pleased to hear that my RB album may be of some help with your own collection, the very best of luck with it.

Regards

Ry
Thanks Charlie585...

Sorry to trouble you Now can I ask a favour. I've taken the photo from your collection album.
Would i be right in saying this badge was used by the following units :

5th Bn (Formerly the 2nd Tower Hamlets Militia).
6th Bn (Formerly the Longford Rifles Militia).
7th Bn (Formerly the 1st Tower Hamlets Militia).
8th Bn (Formerly the Leitrim Rifles Militia).
9th Bn (Formerly the Westmeath Rifles Militia).

Or just the 17th London Tower Hamlets ?

I have this badge in my collection and how I'm wondering if I should keep it with my London Rifle Regiments or if it was used by the Irish Militia units, then it could could go with my Rifle Brigade badges...

I'll end up getting another one anyway in time

Thanks for your help...
Steve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17th London.jpg (63.2 KB, 26 views)
Old 16-03-11, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Thanks Charlie585...

Sorry to trouble you Now can I ask a favour. I've taken the photo from your collection album.
Would i be right in saying this badge was used by the following units :

5th Bn (Formerly the 2nd Tower Hamlets Militia).
6th Bn (Formerly the Longford Rifles Militia).
7th Bn (Formerly the 1st Tower Hamlets Militia).
8th Bn (Formerly the Leitrim Rifles Militia).
9th Bn (Formerly the Westmeath Rifles Militia).

Or just the 17th London Tower Hamlets ?

I have this badge in my collection and how I'm wondering if I should keep it with my London Rifle Regiments or if it was used by the Irish Militia units, then it could could go with my Rifle Brigade badges...

I'll end up getting another one anyway in time

Thanks for your help...
Steve.
Steve,

Keep it with the London badges, it's not militia. The 17th London were an amalgamation of the Tower Hamlet Rifle Volunteers and the 15th Middlesex (Customs & Docks) Rifle Volunteers, both Volunteer battalions of the Rifle Brigade.

The Rifle Brigade Militia badge is similar but has 19 on the left cross arm and 02 on the right. It's also quite a bit larger, a search on here will find it somehwere, I know I've posted it before.
Old 16-03-11, 01:13 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Steve,

Keep it with the London badges, it's not militia. The 17th London were an amalgamation of the Tower Hamlet Rifle Volunteers and the 15th Middlesex (Customs & Docks) Rifle Volunteers, both Volunteer battalions of the Rifle Brigade.

The Rifle Brigade Militia badge is similar but has 19 on the left cross arm and 02 on the right. It's also quite a bit larger, a search on here will find it somehwere, I know I've posted it before.
Thanks Keith...

Just been through the older threads on here and think mine may well be a fake anyway... Oh well...
Cheers.

Steve.
Old 16-03-11, 01:15 PM

You beat me to it Keith. Steve, this is what I have mine labeled as in my London album, as Keith said.

17TH (THE COUNTY OF LONDON) BATTALION
(POPLAR & STEPNEY RIFLES) 1908-37
Affiliated to the Rifle Brigade but as a territorial regiment, hence the lack of honours. Other than the Boer War where they fought as the 1st Tower Hamlets and 15th Middlesex (Customs and Docks) Rifle Volunteers.

Regards
Simon
Old 17-03-11, 10:10 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
You beat me to it Keith. Steve, this is what I have mine labeled as in my London album, as Keith said.

17TH (THE COUNTY OF LONDON) BATTALION
(POPLAR & STEPNEY RIFLES) 1908-37
Affiliated to the Rifle Brigade but as a territorial regiment, hence the lack of honours. Other than the Boer War where they fought as the 1st Tower Hamlets and 15th Middlesex (Customs and Docks) Rifle Volunteers.

Regards
Simon
Thanks Simon....

Finding this site has been a godsend to me.

Steve.
Old 17-03-11, 08:45 PM
Banned

Default RB Militia badges

Hello gents,

Steve, Sorry i wasn't able to answer your enquiry, due to being busy elsewhere I'm afraid.

I'm glad to see though that you have had it answered.

Pictured below are the two badges that fit your enquiry, the first being the Victorian version and the second being the badge that Keith described in his post.

I have had an example of the early version for sale in the classifieds along with a KK2019 FSC badge but they seem to have disappeared.

Should you be interested at all in acquiring either or both of these badges for your RB collection please feel free to PM me.

Regards to all

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 04-06-12 at 03:00 PM.
Old 18-03-11, 11:28 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hello gents,

Steve, Sorry i wasn't able to answer your enquiry, due to being busy elsewhere I'm afraid.

I'm glad to see though that you have had it answered.

Pictured below are the two badges that fit your enquiry, the first being the Victorian version and the second being the badge that Keith described in his post.

I have had an example of the early version for sale in the classifieds along with a KK2019 FSC badge but they seem to have disappeared.

Should you be interested at all in acquiring either or both of these badges for your RB collection please feel free to PM me.

Regards to all

Ry
Thanks Ry,

Skint at the moment but I'll bear that in mind for payday.
This hobby as you know can just eat away at your money, again thanks for the album and info.

Steve.