British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-02-11, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Default 2ND PATTERN RANGER LONDON REGT

Why is this badge so rare? It is inter war but really scarce. Has anyone any idea? The 1938-42 are hard enough to find but this one is nigh near impossible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s1 003.jpg (100.0 KB, 84 views)
Old 21-02-11, 08:04 PM

Hi, I'm looking for the 1914-18 style myself, but picked this up the other day. Is this the same pattern you are referencing.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user616_pic34993_1298169007.jpg (50.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 21-02-11, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

No that is the early WW2 version.
Old 21-02-11, 08:24 PM
Peter J

Alan,

If you could clarify please... am I correct in thinking that (as well as certain other differences) your badge is post-1920 but pre-1937, given that it bears the 'EXCEL' tablet below the crown, and has reference to the '12th' on the central circle?

Whereas Simon's is the post-1937 badge with the '12th' reference removed, along with the tablet. Is this correct?

PJ
Old 21-02-11, 08:32 PM

I have the same badge LONGSHANKS pictured Another question answered for me.
I am glad I found you all on here.
Old 21-02-11, 08:37 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I have the same badge LONGSHANKS pictured Another question answered for me.
I am glad I found you all on here.
Hello again, Steve,

Don't suppose you've got any photos of it handy?

PJ
Old 21-02-11, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Alan,

If you could clarify please... am I correct in thinking that (as well as certain other differences) your badge is post-1920 but pre-1937, given that it bears the 'EXCEL' tablet below the crown, and has reference to the '12th' on the central circle?

Whereas Simon's is the post-1937 badge with the '12th' reference removed, along with the tablet. Is this correct?

PJ
yes that is the one. 15 years of life but really hard to find.
Old 21-02-11, 08:54 PM

Hello Peter,

Heres a couple of photos...
Sorry if the early WW2 one has not come out that well. It is in a frame along with other Rifle badges and It is showing my reflection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rangers 2.jpg (41.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Rangers.jpg (45.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 21-02-11, 08:56 PM

I've had this one a for a bit of time. I considered it a fake or re-strike and it was in the said bow. I thought I'd post it for reference, maybe I was wrong. It has a "non" dot Gaunt stamp on the slider so maybe some hope.

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RANGERS JRG F.jpg (58.3 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg RANGERS JRG R.jpg (53.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg RANGERS JRG R3-4.jpg (46.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 21-02-11, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

Post 1950s slider and bad rear definition are not good signs.
Old 21-02-11, 09:04 PM

As I thought Alan, hence in the restrike box.

Thanks
Old 21-02-11, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Why is this badge so rare? It is inter war but really scarce. Has anyone any idea? The 1938-42 are hard enough to find but this one is nigh near impossible.

I've been stung more than once on this badge and still don't have a good one. I saw a genuine one recently, the collector has only ever seen two in nearly forty years and his is one of them. The copies are very good and exist from a die authorised from a dealer in Charing Cross market back in the 1970's along with the Paddington Rifles amonst others so they're repros and not restrikes.
Old 21-02-11, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the photos, gents.

Simon: nice recent purchase, by the way - I was watching that one myself the other night, didn't bid though.

Steve: nice to see those too, thanks. How happy are you with their authenticity?.. bit hard to ascertain from the photos this end.

PJ

I'll be honest now and say I'm not sure on a few of my badges but if I've not paid to much and it looks good, I'm happy. I'm sure that man on here may not understand that but it works for me. I don't sell anything on afterwards and when I have a unit or collection completed they are placed in a box frame, labelled and left like that. Up until joining this forum I was happy with the WW2 Rangers badge... Now i'm not so sure.
I got it in a central London odds and sods shop many years ago along with a QRRC badge and a silver officers Westminsters badge for very little money.

I collect not only badges but also Books, Buttons cigarette cards and post cards from the old Rifle regiments. so my collection does contain reprints etc.

The more I learn about collecting militaria the more confusing things get.
Oh well... I'm sure everyone understands that.
Old 21-02-11, 10:35 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
I've been stung more than once on this badge and still don't have a good one. I saw a genuine one recently, the collector has only ever seen two in nearly forty years and his is one of them. The copies are very good and exist from a die authorised from a dealer in Charing Cross market back in the 1970's along with the Paddington Rifles amonst others so they're repros and not restrikes.
Keith,

I recall having read this previously in your album notes, and for anybody with an interest in this area, it makes sobering reading.

Can you offer any theories as to why this badge might be so hard to come by, but moreover, if a genuine one ever did come our way, how would we be able to tell it apart from the rubbish?

Peter
Old 21-02-11, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Keith,

I recall having read this previously in your album notes, and for anybody with an interest in this area, it makes sobering reading.

Can you offer any theories as to why this badge might be so hard to come by, but moreover, if a genuine one ever did come our way, how would we be able to tell it apart from the rubbish?

Peter
It's one of those badges which defies explanation, similar to say the double scroll 19th Hussars, 23rd London Armoured Car, etc.....there are patterns which were worn for a shorter period but are more abundant. As for telling a real one apart, I'm not doing myself any favours divulging this but it's all in the size, a real one is not much smaller than a 1st pattern.