British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-01-11, 12:32 PM

Default Belgian & French Buttons

I picked up some buttons recently and among them were two Belgian and a French button. I found the two Belgian buttons, or at least some very similar ones on a thread by 2747Andy which were almost identical, the name Fonson &Co Brux being the same. From this I assume the No 1 would be the Belgian First Line Infantry and the No 2 possibly the 2nd Regiment of "Chasseur à Pied" as they are almost the same apart from the numbers. The dating was listed as between 1897 and 1915.
The other has the lettering Ville De Rouen and Octroi and a Paris makers name of A.M. & Cie Paris. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance Alan Y.

B 01.JPG B 02.JPG
Old 05-01-11, 08:17 PM

Default Buttons

The first one is french 20th century for the town of Rouen (Normandy) and seems to be like a "customs buttons" Every goods (almost food) which was enter in this town should be taxed. This is probably an uniform's button and more informations can be found when you go to internet, ask for "Octroi de Rouen" and you will find. You must read french, that's better ! Octroi de Rouen seems to be disbanded in 1927 and made during years full of traffic jams at main entrance of the town. Intersting buttons, maybe bring back by a british soldier during ww1...
The second one is Belgian, 2nd "Chasseurs à pied" and the third one is a Belgian first line regiment. The two belgians were used on tunics until summer 1915 then replaced on new tunics by "lion's" buttons
Old 05-01-11, 09:24 PM

Hello Vincent

Thanks for the information. I’ve had a quick look on the internet for “Octroi de Rouen” but my French is too basic to understand very much. I’ll try again and gradually I might get some more information.
I wasn’t sure if it was a military button, but I would not have thought of it being from a Customs uniform.
Also thanks for confirming the Belgian buttons, I was fairly sure about them from the other thread but it’s good to get a second opinion.

Thanks again – regards, Alan Y
Old 06-01-11, 04:38 PM

Default Buttons

Always a pleasure to be useful to someone...