British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-10-15, 06:34 PM

Default South Armagh Militia

Can anyone please tell me if there was such a unit as the South Armagh Militia and if so what the design of their button was ?

Thanks

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 04-10-15, 07:11 PM

I found The Armagh Light Infantry Militia. Not exactly the same title as you are searching for.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 04-10-15, 07:55 PM

Hello Peter

In his book "Buttons of the Irish Militia 1793-1881", Joe McDonnell illustrates six buttons to the "Armagh Militia", the first three use the term "Armagh Regiment", the fourth type "Armagh Militia", the fifth "Armagh Regiment" again and the sixth is the "Armagh Light Infantry" that Henk mentioned. As far as I can see there was no use of the term "South Armagh".

If any of the above are the button you are interested in let me know and I will provide further details.

Regards
Roger
Old 04-10-15, 08:01 PM

Thanks Roger,

What you have said pretty well confirms what I thought ,that a button that a dealer suggested might be to the South Armagh Militia, is probably not.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 04-10-15, 08:35 PM

Peter

as mentioned by others there was no official unit titled "South Armagh Militia" as least not before 1793 that I am aware of.

The county formed two militia units

The first an Infantry Unit

Given the precedence number 8 out of 38 units at the ballot of Aug 8th 1793. The title changed in turn to, The 75th or Armagh Rgt of Militia by 1850 and The Armagh Light Infantry Militia by 1854. This last title the one that was retained before becoming 3rd Battalion The Royal Irish Fusiliers.

The second an Artillery unit formed in 1854 and titled The Armagh Artillery. In 1875 it amalgamated with the Londonderry and Tyrone Artilleries to form The Mid Ulster Artillery which in turn became 6th Brigade The North Irish Division Royal Artillery in 1881 .

John