British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-09-15, 01:13 PM

Default Kings Own Royal rgt

Hi . A few pics of Kings Own badges. The bottom left aa and the bottom right both Gaunt London the metal one being of solid construction, i take it both are from the 1950's. The top badge is a un voided title two piece construction made of a lighter gauge of metal than the Gaunt, you can feel a slight weight difference in the two, is this a variation of the earlier voided title badges, i have read there was one.
The aa collars, final pattern, did these also come in wm or were they only vols collars, and when did the wm collars come in please.
Finally can anyone i.d the formation badge please, taken Kenya i think

Iain

p.s. forgot to mention. on ebay i have been seeing quite a few chrome kings own similar to this are these any good or repro

Last edited by iain; 16-02-16 at 03:41 PM.
Old 25-09-15, 02:52 PM

The formation sign looks like 24th Guards Brigade worn by the KORR 1945-49.
Though the picture does look later and if inKenya it would be 1958
I will try to double check later
Paul
Old 25-09-15, 04:25 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain View Post
Hi . A few pics of Kings Own badges. The bottom left aa and the bottom right both Gaunt London the metal one being of solid construction, i take it both are from the 1950's. The top badge is a un voided title two piece construction made of a lighter gauge of metal than the Gaunt, you can feel a slight weight difference in the two, is this a variation of the earlier voided title badges, i have read there was one.
The aa collars, final pattern, did these also come in wm or were they only vols collars, and when did the wm collars come in please.
Finally can anyone i.d the formation badge please, taken Kenya i think

Iain

p.s. forgot to mention. on ebay i have been seeing quite a few chrome kings own similar to this are these any good or repro
Iain,
the lower badge with the measuring tape inserts is not chrome, it is a silvered "Birmingham Mint" Reproduction.

Andy
Old 25-09-15, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
The formation sign looks like 24th Guards Brigade worn by the KORR 1945-49.
Though the picture does look later and if inKenya it would be 1958
I will try to double check later
Paul
Agreed. By Mau Mau time it might well have reverted to 24 Inf Bde? But the sign is the same. Mike
Old 25-09-15, 06:31 PM

The collars are an interesting one Iain. The large size are found in a/a as well. It was my presumption that The KO wore the large. Is there no info in the newer Churchill book ? All the old version states is "post 1894 gilding metal".
I know both sizes were worn by the KORBR.
Old 26-09-15, 11:32 AM

Default Thanks

Thank you for your help. Mike H these are aa but i did not know the KORBR wore the larger pattern collars just the v.small aa type. Unfortunately i no longer own a copy of Churchill's . What dress would the large collars be used on, No 1 ?

Iain
Old 26-09-15, 12:14 PM

iain posted a photo of 1 of my boards and some items to the K.O.R B.R

David

Last edited by 49lassiepen; 26-09-15 at 12:20 PM.
Old 26-09-15, 01:03 PM

Thanks David, Nice badges,some badges i have not seen before, i am sure i wrote something down about aa kings own, see if i caan find it in all the mess.
Iain
Old 26-09-15, 01:16 PM

Iain a number of badges are not shown in K O RR B officers x2 firkin marked , small and large 1V ,a/a arm badge ,officers bullion will update photo's later
David
Old 26-09-15, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain View Post
Thank you for your help. Mike H these are aa but i did not know the KORBR wore the larger pattern collars just the v.small aa type. Unfortunately i no longer own a copy of Churchill's . What dress would the large collars be used on, No 1 ?

Iain
Yes Iain,if you can get hold of a copy of the regiment magazine KORB issue,there are plenty of images showing both sizes of collar badge.
Old 27-09-15, 12:50 PM

Thanks Mike i had a look on E.B. only copy wanted about £8 for it,seems a bit much.
Had a look around and found these to borrow so guess they will have to be deleted soon.
A nice pic of pioneer sgt and the sgt in blues wearing the large lion.
The rgt band who seem to be wearing it also,at least those in uniform are ! but don't the squaddies out of uniform look good lol
And a collection of Kings own, inc the aa lion so seems to have been worn by both rgts.

Iain

Last edited by iain; 16-02-16 at 03:41 PM.
Old 27-09-15, 06:22 PM

Glad you had some joy Iain.