British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Military Buttons

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-02-11, 02:00 PM

Default AWI Highland Regimental Buttons?

Hello All,

I'm trying to find imagery of buttons worn by the Highland marching and Highland Fencible regiments formed for service during the American War ( approximately 1777-84), and have been able to find next to nothing. The only
resource that I've discovered of any note is Don Troiani's book for the regiment's sent to America, but for others that remained in or near Britain, or went places other than America, there's little out there. Major Parkyn's book has a couple of tidbits, but the bulk of what I'm interested in appears undocumented.

The regiments that I'm interested in are the 73rd, 77th, 78th, and 81st Highlanders, as well as the three Fencible regiments, the Northern (Gordon),
Western (Argyll), and Sutherland Highlanders.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Alex
Old 13-03-11, 02:06 AM

Default Buttons issued to the 72nd Regiment, pre-1914.

Hi Alex.

I still have a bag of my "issued" 72nd Regiment (Seaforth Highlanders of Canada) buttons, manufactured by Moore.Taccart & Co., Glasgow from sometime before WWI.

Most of the gear we were issued in the regiment (in the 1970s) was left over from various dates in a sixty-year history and much had been ordered directly from Scotland; I recall seeing a bundle of several hundred Kilt-aprons sitting with mounds of other gear left over from 1915; my platoon commander gave me one to keep.

Hope this button-reference helps a bit.