British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-05-20, 02:17 PM

Default Military and RAF whistles no being Faked

Found these two items on line today these are made to deceive be carful my Friends

Regards

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8545D221-776C-4B76-B1F7-633B944D5EAD.jpg (59.7 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 05E143FD-CCCD-43A7-8757-DF1A47A66B91.jpg (62.2 KB, 93 views)
Old 14-05-20, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkstone View Post
Found these two items on line today these are made to deceive be carful my Friends

Regards

Stephen
1st line of description states ‘reproduction’, so hardly setting out to deceive.
T

If anyone buys one expecting an original, they have surely only themselves to blame for not reading the description.
Old 14-05-20, 06:16 PM

Take box away leave out in the rain for a few weeks By a dodgy dealer and you have a a repro sold as original this will happen mark my words.

Take a look at the markings direct copies

Regards

Stephen
Old 14-05-20, 07:04 PM

It is easier to go to : https://www.acmewhistles.co.uk/buy-o...y-whistles-wwi and buy a "new" original from the manufactors. I bought one (Thunderer) and they are very good quality and amazing sound.
Old 23-05-20, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Take box away leave out in the rain for a few weeks By a dodgy dealer and you have a a repro sold as original this will happen mark my words.

Regards

Stephen
AM whistles never carried ACME THUNDERER MADE IN ENGLAND markings on the mouthpiece.
Old 23-05-20, 01:11 PM

Quote:

Regards

Stephen
You don't have to leave it in the rain for a few weeks , the 'Acme' site listed produces a "distressed" version :

" These replica items are produced using some of the original tools and dies dated back from between 1914 & 1918"

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 23-05-20, 05:42 PM

These have been around for some time now, far better off with the real thing, although, to be quite honest, I think that applies to any antique, if it is not original, what is the point in buying.

Quote:

Regards

Stephen
Old 18-06-20, 11:57 PM

Are the boxes not fantasy items anyway?....being an RAF Collector,I have never seen an original, long, or snail, in a box!
Old 19-06-20, 05:57 AM

Stephen is just trying to help to be fair to him. He must have wonders why he bothered. Not everyone is an ‘expert’ and new collectors particularly younger collectors need a bit of help.
Old 19-06-20, 06:29 PM

I think, given the ever growing amount of completely spurious stuff now being peddled as original by dishonest idiots, new collectors, as you mention, particularly, the younger ones, really would benefit from a considerable degree of help these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyboy View Post
Stephen is just trying to help to be fair to him. He must have wonders why he bothered. Not everyone is an ‘expert’ and new collectors particularly younger collectors need a bit of help.
Old 19-06-20, 06:54 PM

Dear all,
It was just a heads up for those of us who were not aware of these dodgy good looking fakes on the market.

Maybe not sold as such but when a dodgy dealer gets hold of them need I say more.

Originals fetch good prices and a fellow collector may overspend on this fake tat that destroys new collectors confidence.
I have been collecting for 50 years and do not appreciate reproduction items made to deceive (yes they are) we see this every day on here when some one posts a precious new find only to find out it is repro.

That collector like me as a young collector and seasoned collector I am today I can only afford a certain amount and a mistake is frustrating and to many disheartening.

I have a lot of experience collecting but still get caught, IMO all repro items should be marked As such by Law but far to late now.

This is why I am a forum member to share knowledge the wealth of it on here is truly amazing.

Thank you Holyboy I had thought that! Much appreciated post

Regards

Stephen