British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-02-20, 01:11 PM

Default DLI Pagri badge

Hi All,

just received and couldn't resist this one. Lucky enough to now own 2 of these and, to my mind, the nicest of all DLI badges.Lovely quality. I would love to see a photo of these been worn...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 108_9731.jpg (85.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 108_9732.jpg (95.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 108_9733.jpg (78.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 28-02-20, 02:33 PM

They are a lovely badge.
I have a silver KRRC badge with the same design of horn. It's one of my personal favourites.
Old 28-02-20, 03:23 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Absolutely wonderful badge. Great find.
Old 28-02-20, 03:44 PM
MarkGD

Lovely thing, thanks for sharing - Regards Mark
Old 28-02-20, 07:30 PM

They are very pleasing and well made badges, I have not actually seen an example for a couple of years, certainly a good buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Hi All,

just received and couldn't resist this one. Lucky enough to now own 2 of these and, to my mind, the nicest of all DLI badges.Lovely quality. I would love to see a photo of these been worn...
Old 28-02-20, 07:43 PM

Very nice.
Andy
Old 29-02-20, 06:05 AM

Got to be happy with the quality of that Mark. Well done, cheers Dean
Old 29-02-20, 11:33 AM

Default badge

Good to hear from you again Dean..yes, I'm very happy getting it. Was described as a pipers/bandsmens badge, but I still think they are a pagri badge. Still not 100% certain as I have not seen any photographic evidence.

Cheers, Mark
Old 02-03-20, 05:16 PM

A very nice badge, but not at all sure it is a Pagri. The usual badge worn on the Pagri, at least between the wars, was a dark green cloth rectangle with D.L.I. embroidered in red.
There are so many metal badges for various regiments described as being for the Pagri, but as has been mentioned, no photo evidence exists. A mystery to me.

CB
Old 02-03-20, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
A very nice badge, but not at all sure it is a Pagri. The usual badge worn on the Pagri, at least between the wars, was a dark green cloth rectangle with D.L.I. embroidered in red.
There are so many metal badges for various regiments described as being for the Pagri, but as has been mentioned, no photo evidence exists. A mystery to me.

CB
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=173478
Old 03-03-20, 05:44 PM

The photo shows the usual badge I mentioned. Could not the badge in question be for the officer's FS cap?

CB
Old 03-03-20, 10:54 PM

Having studied contemporary photos for several decades I think it’s true that there is some confusion regarding pagri badges. In the officers dress regulations of 1900 metal badges were stipulated and there’s no doubt that before the 2nd Boer War some were worn by officers and men in overseas stations where pagris/puggarees were authorised (for quite a number of stations they were not authorised and these are listed in clothing regulations). What happened was that the overriding focus was on South Africa and operational realities at that time and instead of metal badges the vast majority of line regiments adopted cut off cloth shoulder straps taken from their scarlet undress frocks and fitted them to the sides of their foreign service helmets. Between the two World wars things changed and there are numerous photos from around 1930 where cloth badges on the side are eschewed and instead metal badges, positioned on the front of Wolseley helmets are adopted instead.
Old 04-03-20, 01:50 AM

It is the case that many metal badges were worn in the later interwar years, but my own (admittedly perhaps faulty) research would indicate that cloth badges were predominate, at least in the Infantry.
This may have had something to do with the two battalion system, wherein they apparently had the opportunity to express their pre-Cardwell numbers without censorship in India, as so many cloth Pagri badges indicate.

CB
Old 04-03-20, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
It is the case that many metal badges were worn in the later interwar years, but my own (admittedly perhaps faulty) research would indicate that cloth badges were predominate, at least in the Infantry.
This may have had something to do with the two battalion system, wherein they apparently had the opportunity to express their pre-Cardwell numbers without censorship in India, as so many cloth Pagri badges indicate.

CB
Yes I think you’re right that 1st and 2nd battalions with separate lineages often did different things, and it’s also true that there was never a 100% uniform uptake of a particular style of wearing badges across the whole of the infantry. That said, by around 1930, I’ve found that the balance had shifted to a much greater take up of metal badges on the front of Wolseley helmets, with just a few regiments such as fusiliers and highlanders wearing hackles or short horse hair plumes, or tartan patches on the sides. The Lancashire Fusiliers became the last to wear the scarlet shoulder strap flash, largely in commemoration of their sacrifice at Spion Kop, and before disbandment, the Royal Munster Fusiliers used a large green felt shamrock, superimposed with a one piece shoulder title, behind which was affixed their plume/hackle when in review order.
Old 04-07-20, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Hi All,

If you go to page 55 on this GWF thread, is this your badge being worn?
https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/...e/55/#comments

Chris