British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-01-19, 04:22 PM

Default Patching 6th Gurkha Rifles Uniform

Hello,
I was recently given a British Army DPM combat jacket (lightweight version) by an ex-Gurkha. I have also bought the trousers, plus beret and cap badge. I will buy the Union Jack to sew on. However, I'm not sure how to patch it correctly, and can't find much info on the internet. He says he was an officer in the 6th GR, in the 70s.
What rank slides are needed? He says officer ones went on each shoulder, and that they were dark (black?) with three black pips on each.
TRF? As far as I can see, 6th GR had red ones with a crossed kukri.
Collar buttons - possibly crossed kukri with 6 between, and no crown? Or maybe not at all?
Anything else I need?
Thanks!
Old 29-01-19, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum ColdWar Conan. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 29-01-19, 06:15 PM

Hi "Conan"

Welcome to the forum - I've attached a couple of photos that might help. The buttons will definitely have the crown as per the photos - ( crown was introduced in 1960 and in use till amalgamation in 1994 ) - the TRF I think your referring to is the 48 Gurkha Infantry Brigade ( white kukris on red ) the 6th GR were part of this brigade from 1974>1977 - so that fits your dates. Less sure of what shoulder slip on titles you refer to - but the second photo gives you some ideas I think. None of these will prove expensive or particularly difficult to get hold of. Cheers Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6202.jpg (39.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6201.jpg (49.2 KB, 42 views)
Old 29-01-19, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
Hi "Conan"

Welcome to the forum - I've attached a couple of photos that might help. The buttons will definitely have the crown as per the photos - ( crown was introduced in 1960 and in use till amalgamation in 1994 ) - the TRF I think your referring to is the 48 Gurkha Infantry Brigade ( white kukris on red ) the 6th GR were part of this brigade from 1974>1977 - so that fits your dates. Less sure of what shoulder slip on titles you refer to - but the second photo gives you some ideas I think. None of these will prove expensive or particularly difficult to get hold of. Cheers Tim
Thanks so much for this! The collar buttons and tfr patch you show are very helpful.
The shoulder slips what you sent also. The one with black background and pips are what I assume I am supposed to get, as it matches the description I was given. He said he had three pips on it though (making him a captain?). May ask the technical names for these, as I have been using vague terms to search the internet so far.
Thanks!
Old 29-01-19, 11:08 PM

No Union Flag was worn on DPM camouflage dress in the 1970s. No collar badges were ever worn on combat jackets.
Old 30-01-19, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin S View Post
No Union Flag was worn on DPM camouflage dress in the 1970s. No collar badges were ever worn on combat jackets.
Indeed, I believe the Union Jack was not worn on combats until the Soldier 95 kit was introduced into service.

CB
Old 30-01-19, 07:30 AM

Or regimental buttons, presumably.
Old 30-01-19, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
Indeed, I believe the Union Jack was not worn on combats until the Soldier 95 kit was introduced into service.

CB
Thanks. Although that leads me to some confusion, as despite the person who gave me this having been in the Ghurkas in the 70s, the combat jacket appears to be the Lightweight Soldier 95 one. The NSN is 8415-99-503-8774. The pictures show the jacket and label... It looks different to the older DPM lightweight jackets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1548836434832513911685119616109.jpg (63.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 15488366445465171454340825286861.jpg (117.3 KB, 27 views)
Old 30-01-19, 08:29 PM

All you need on that is a Rank slide on the front.

Marc
Old 30-01-19, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

The jacket shown is mid 1990s at best and worn up to 2013.
Old 30-01-19, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post

CB
It was worn by certain units only - AMF(L) and those on UN duties spring to mind.

C95 was not initially issued with any badges. Union flags were issued separately for Bosnia in 1996.
Old 30-01-19, 08:45 PM

If he was 6th Gurkhas in the 70's then the jacket would not be the combat 95 one but what we would call jungles. The colour is slightly different,the same as the right hand rank slide that Tim has shown in his earlier post.
Old 30-01-19, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
If he was 6th Gurkhas in the 70's then the jacket would not be the combat 95 one but what we would call jungles. The colour is slightly different,the same as the right hand rank slide that Tim has shown in his earlier post.
Yeah that is what I was thinking... When this jacket was introduced, 6th GR wasn't even a thing. I now think he bought this one separately, and forgot that it isn't the original, as the way he described how it was matched the jungle one you mention. He talked of rank slides on the shoulders, but this S95 jacket doesn't accommodate them on the shoulder.
Old 30-01-19, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
All you need on that is a Rank slide on the front.

Marc
Thanks! I have bought one... Just not what was originally intended as it would've been the wrong date 😂
Old 30-01-19, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
It was worn by certain units only - AMF(L) and those on UN duties spring to mind.

C95 was not initially issued with any badges. Union flags were issued separately for Bosnia in 1996.
Thanks!

Were the RGR ever in Bosnia? I know they were with the paras (Ive seen pics of them with maroon beret), but I mean as a rifles - as in with their rifle green beret.

Tags
gurkha