British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19-04-21, 09:11 AM
Right Dress Right Dress is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 9
Default Boar War to Cad pattern titles

Hello My name is Alan
Smith I'm in Edmonton Alberta Canada.

Back working on my reference book on Canadian Army Cloth/Melton
Shoulder Titles which I have around 5000 different ones. The Range
is Boar War to date. I would like to get information by units for items
I know should be out there. Canada Militia Shoulder Straps I have
GGFG Mens and Officers and 79 Camerions. in the Boar War Flash the
one I have is QOR. I am also looking for the Korea War unoffiial titles.
I don't have much in the last 10 years. So open to suggestions. If you
can send a colour photo with a size gauge please as I plan to list at 100%
size and would like to have this available on line for use or research. i'm
not sure how to do this.

User Name Right Dress is what you see on the army you are dressing.
  #2  
Old 19-04-21, 12:44 PM
Bill A's Avatar
Bill A Bill A is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,962
Default

Hello Alan, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
__________________
Res ipsa loquitur
  #3  
Old 19-04-21, 12:45 PM
Bill A's Avatar
Bill A Bill A is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,962
Default

Are you aware of Fabric of War? Click on the icon in the upper right corner of this page.
__________________
Res ipsa loquitur
  #4  
Old 19-04-21, 03:05 PM
edstorey edstorey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 783
Default Naming Conventions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Dress View Post
Hello My name is Alan
Smith I'm in Edmonton Alberta Canada.

Back working on my reference book on Canadian Army Cloth/Melton
Shoulder Titles which I have around 5000 different ones. The Range
is Boar War to date. I would like to get information by units for items
I know should be out there. Canada Militia Shoulder Straps I have
GGFG Mens and Officers and 79 Camerions. in the Boar War Flash the
one I have is QOR. I am also looking for the Korea War unoffiial titles.
I don't have much in the last 10 years. So open to suggestions. If you
can send a colour photo with a size gauge please as I plan to list at 100%
size and would like to have this available on line for use or research. i'm
not sure how to do this.

User Name Right Dress is what you see on the army you are dressing.
Well, I learned something new as I was always lead to believe that the war in South Africa was called the BOER WAR.
  #5  
Old 19-04-21, 03:51 PM
grenadierguardsman's Avatar
grenadierguardsman grenadierguardsman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 3,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Well, I learned something new as I was always lead to believe that the war in South Africa was called the BOER WAR.

Andy
__________________
Leave to carry on Sir please.
  #6  
Old 19-04-21, 04:18 PM
Phillip Herring's Avatar
Phillip Herring Phillip Herring is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,324
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Dress View Post
Hello My name is Alan
Smith I'm in Edmonton Alberta Canada.

Back working on my reference book on Canadian Army Cloth/Melton
Shoulder Titles which I have around 5000 different ones. The Range
is Boar War to date. I would like to get information by units for items
I know should be out there. Canada Militia Shoulder Straps I have
GGFG Mens and Officers and 79 Camerions. in the Boar War Flash the
one I have is QOR. I am also looking for the Korea War unoffiial titles.
I don't have much in the last 10 years. So open to suggestions. If you
can send a colour photo with a size gauge please as I plan to list at 100%
size and would like to have this available on line for use or research. i'm
not sure how to do this.

User Name Right Dress is what you see on the army you are dressing.

I think your time would be put to better use by working so that you can buy a copy of Bill Alexander's Fabric of War. In your spare time you might want to take an English course and brush up on your spelling and grammar before attempting write on a subject that has already been thoroughly covered.
__________________
Courtesy of The Canadian Forces:
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/index-eng.asp

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
  #7  
Old 19-04-21, 06:32 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,162
Default

Anglo Boer War.


Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Well, I learned something new as I was always lead to believe that the war in South Africa was called the BOER WAR.
  #8  
Old 19-04-21, 07:37 PM
edstorey edstorey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 783
Default Terminology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Anglo Boer War.
or South African War, but no matter what name is used, it was certainly not the Boar War.
  #9  
Old 19-04-21, 09:04 PM
Fatherofthree's Avatar
Fatherofthree Fatherofthree is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 1,382
Default

Boar War was when we fought The Pygmies.
  #10  
Old 19-04-21, 11:37 PM
Phillip Herring's Avatar
Phillip Herring Phillip Herring is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,324
Default

The only porcine conflict that comes to mind is the "Pig War" of 1859 on San Juan Island.
__________________
Courtesy of The Canadian Forces:
http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/index-eng.asp

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
  #11  
Old 20-04-21, 11:08 AM
Right Dress Right Dress is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 9
Default Ouch

It seems that some of you still have not changed over the years from
my collecting days. Thanks for your kind words. A much polite words
would be check out the book "Cloth of War" as this is of interest. Back
in 1967 when I started collecting no books or Guides available and
the same wit that some of you had then are true to form still today.
Plus now a few more of you. You almost have a club of your own that
a number of you could join as the Load Mouth Club I'm sure to hear
your wit from this next, what a chance you now have.

Not to be rude towards the Algonquin Regt. but you should ask them to
use their motto for your club.
.
So thanks you save me some time. I had wanted to return something to
the collecting world before I sell off my collection. I would/will buy a copy
of Bills Book as i looks very interesting.

Alan Smith
  #12  
Old 20-04-21, 06:01 PM
Right Dress Right Dress is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Posts: 9
Default Not all made it

When you correct people be fair and delete them as well. Since I don't see
my post with the Algonquin Regiment in it. Or the Reference to the Boar War
book. So where did they go????
  #13  
Old 20-04-21, 06:10 PM
edstorey edstorey is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 783
Default Forum Postings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Right Dress View Post
It seems that some of you still have not changed over the years from
my collecting days. Thanks for your kind words. A much polite words
would be check out the book "Cloth of War" as this is of interest. Back
in 1967 when I started collecting no books or Guides available and
the same wit that some of you had then are true to form still today.
Plus now a few more of you. You almost have a club of your own that
a number of you could join as the Load Mouth Club I'm sure to hear
your wit from this next, what a chance you now have.

Not to be rude towards the Algonquin Regt. but you should ask them to
use their motto for your club.
.
So thanks you save me some time. I had wanted to return something to
the collecting world before I sell off my collection. I would/will buy a copy
of Bills Book as i looks very interesting.

Alan Smith
I see that his message was posted to the forum and this message was e-mailed to my account;

Hello Ed

Thanks for you understanding. Well he hasn't changed
P.H. once a bully always the same inside.

Long days from trading with Jim Bodrey I might
have the wrong spelling.

I had wanted to give back to collecting small guys
a guide a guide Like James Stewart did but with
pictures on line for free.

I had needed to do this before I go blind since I
collected different types of the same unit.

Things like the Provol Company Numbers or
the scarce South.Sask. / Canada / Regt WW2
British made. Canadian School / Field Gun (Gun) /
of Gunnery Left hand side if faced left towards the front.
Bills book looks great could have used it in 1967

I will stop doing it and I guess start to sell off the
collection.

Alan Smith ex MCCofC

I am not sure to make of this messages but I can read between the lines and suspect that Alan was quite hurt over the string of e-mail replies to his post. I also get the impression that he has been collecting for several decades and has a large collection. That being said I lead the charge pointing out that Boer was spelled incorrectly and while I do feel sorry that Alan took my comment and the string that followed personally, I do feel that they were not unwarranted. Being able to compose a thought and type effectively is part of what these forums are about and the experience can be very different from a few collectors sitting around at a meeting. While many people who visit forums use an avatar, I deliberately use my own name and will take the heat from anything I post. Likewise I try to be mindful and not be insulting although I will admit to be blunt.

Alan's purported large collection sounds interesting and I am sure that he has some nuggets of information to pass on to other collectors although to be honest I don't think posting on forums is the best medium for him to pursue.

All of us have to address the eventual downsizing of our collections and I hope that he has success in finding good homes for his treasures.

Signed, Head Load Mouth
  #14  
Old 20-04-21, 06:29 PM
Bill A's Avatar
Bill A Bill A is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 10,962
Default

This thread has run its course. There is a fine line between fair discussion and comments that delve into personal attributes. Closed.
__________________
Res ipsa loquitur
Closed Thread

Tags
cdn combat, cloth patches, regt cdn shoulder flash

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.