British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-21, 08:42 AM

28 Bat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3315.jpg (60.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3316.jpg (68.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-05-21, 08:45 AM

27 Bat / OTC / Inns of Court
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3317.jpg (77.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3318.jpg (96.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-05-21, 10:01 PM

Gentlemen, 107 views and no comments. Why no comments on these badges?Please post your opinions on these badges as I need to find out if all are original ww1 and/or ww2 era ones. If not I can still return these to the seller. Please help. Thanks! Cheers, Tom
Old 08-05-21, 10:22 PM

I don’t mean this in an unfriendly way but it’s quite overload.

You’ve posted perhaps 200 odd badges for comment in 3 or 4 days. Most threads or discussions focus on one or maybe a handful of badges, many of yours are near complete sets/themes and it’s one after the other.

Personally I think with large sets the best method is to create an album and invite comments, which is possible below individual pictures.

Keeping track of 20 odd badges asked about within a single thread is not the easiest.

I will comment on more when I have time to go through them.
Old 08-05-21, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I don’t mean this in an unfriendly way but it’s quite overload.

You’ve posted perhaps 200 odd badges for comment in 3 or 4 days. Most threads or discussions focus on one or maybe a handful of badges, many of yours are near complete sets/themes and it’s one after the other.

Personally I think with large sets the best method is to create an album and invite comments, which is possible below individual pictures.

Keeping track of 20 odd badges asked about within a single thread is not the easiest.

I will comment on more when I have time to go through them.

Hi Luke, Thanks for your comments. I understand what you are saying. We are almost there. Just a couple of infantry badges left and some support formations. I realy appreciate all the help given and I wish I had more time to do this but I am running against a dead line for the return of badges that are not original to the seller. As for an album that is an interesting idea although I am not sure doing an album is less work for anyone if they have to work through 200 or so badges or so. I thought it best to cut up my badges into groups so as to attract those who have a special interest in f.e. hussars or fusiliers and give them more sizable chunks to work with. In any case thanks for all your help so far and like I said the end is in sight! Cheers, Tom
Old 09-05-21, 01:04 AM

Welcome Tom. I think the collection you have purchased is in general quite a good one and the duds among the collection are of an acceptable percentage. You were brave to purchase a collection of this size being new to collecting British badges.
This is though the second large collection put on the forum recently for comment, though the 1st looked to have been collected bit by bit, not bought as a collection. I don't recall such mass collection assessment requests taking place before on the forum, most of us adding to a collection a badge or a few badges at a time.
I have been put off making comment due to the numbers of badges posted and others may feel the same way, but I commend those who have made the effort to help you, and hope you end up knowing you have a good collection and what identifies each badge as being a good one. Regards, Paul. PS As I've posted, I think your 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 14th, 17th, 19th, 23rd, 25th are OK- the others I'm unsure of or don't know.

Last edited by wardog; 09-05-21 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-05-21, 07:55 AM

I would be a little skeptical of the 9th and 20th, the sliders and finish look a bit modern, the rest look ok to me.
Old 09-05-21, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
I have been put off making comment due to the numbers of badges posted and others may feel the same way, but I commend those who have made the effort to help you, and hope you end up knowing you have a good collection and what identifies each badge as being a good one. Regards, Paul.
Thanks Paul for your comments. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of collecting badge by badge due to shipping costs which are quite often higher than the cost of the badge itself and becomes crippling when I need to return something if not original. So for example a 10 GBP badge which turns out not to be original costs me around 30 GBP in shipping getting it to me and returning it (Norwegian mail is very expensive). Then there are customs issues to deal with. If customs takes an interest please add 25% and around 20 GBP in admin fees. Because of this I am 'forced' to buy bulk, rather than being brave, and pray it passes customs unnoticed. And so I ended up with this sizeable number of badges that I would very much like to be checked so I can reclaim my money spend on the fake ones and just as important keeping my collection fake free. I much prefer collecting badges one by one but there are no British cap badges for sale in Norway nor militaria fairs where these badges can be handled or bought. I must admit I do not really enjoy the task of photographing obverse and reverse, resizing, cropping, uploading and so on of so many badges which is taking up a huge amount of time and then asking (hopefully this is not considered by others as pestering) Forum members for help which I know is a big ask considering the number of badges. Sorry. Fortunately help has been forth coming and I really appreciate it! Hopefully everyone's love for these badges and disgust of fakes is big enough so that this help will continue for the last bits of badges and people are not put off by the bulk of it. After this I will slow down and see if I can pick up the badges that are still missing in my collection of the Forum so there will not be a repeat performance of me dumping a whole lot of badges on the Forum in such a short time. Again my appologies. Thanks everyone for your patience and all your help. Cheers, Tom

Last edited by kaiserwilhelm2; 09-05-21 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-05-21, 09:16 AM

Is one person selling you all these badges?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 09-05-21, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Is one person selling you all these badges?

regards
Yes
Old 09-05-21, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserwilhelm2 View Post
Yes
Well in that case I dont think he or she has done you any favours.

There are many badges in that lot which are obvious fakes and anyone buying or selling British military badges would definitely know are fake.

I would be very annoyed if someone sent me all those badges as genuine.

regards

Old 09-05-21, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Well in that case I dont think he or she has done you any favours.

There are many badges in that lot which are obvious fakes and anyone buying or selling British military badges would definitely know are fake.

I would be very annoyed if someone sent me all those badges as genuine.

regards
I will be quite upset if, when returning these, the seller would make an issue of me returning these items although this has been agreed upon. And yes it is 'quite surprising' that I would be receiving these fake badges sold as genuine as I suspect the seller would know as it is his business. Will not go into the identity of the seller unless issues appear upon returning the fakes.
Old 09-05-21, 09:49 AM

All sounds a bit dodgy to me.

regards

Old 09-05-21, 04:19 PM

Hello Tom. I assumed you had bought one persons collection, though it now sounds you have bought en masse, possibly from a dealer. While it can be accepted for a collection to have fake badges in its ranks- we all make mistakes, not so much of an allowance should be made for a dealer. In hindsight I can see your need to get opinion on the forum, and I hope your arrangement to return unacceptable badges works out. Have you estimated the percentage of bad badges so far? Regards, Paul.
Old 09-05-21, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog View Post
Hello Tom. I assumed you had bought one persons collection, though it now sounds you have bought en masse, possibly from a dealer. While it can be accepted for a collection to have fake badges in its ranks- we all make mistakes, not so much of an allowance should be made for a dealer. In hindsight I can see your need to get opinion on the forum, and I hope your arrangement to return unacceptable badges works out. Have you estimated the percentage of bad badges so far? Regards, Paul.
Hi Paul, I agree but what can one do but make arrangements for return of fakes and get help determining which are good and which bad. One of course always hopes that no one willfully sells bad items especially when he seems to have a decent reputation (or so I gathered from reading through some threads here prior to buying) as a seller but alas such is the world. Percentage of reproductions is currently about 10% but I suspect there are some more as not all badges have yet been commented on so I am not sure where we will get to in the end. In any case thanks for participating in the selection process and helping me out. Much appreciated! Cheers, Tom
Closed Thread