British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-04-21, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
A B3 stamped one for sale on eBay described as "ANTIQUE BRASS POLICE OR FIREMAN WHISTLE" with additional info :

NB. A version called 'The City' has a patent number 6727-08 stamped on it which seems to indicate that minor modifications/improvements were made by manufacturer/retailers.

Ahhh so it could be a police or fire service whistle, I’ve tried looking up the patent but what came up was a Hudson 1916 whistle. Which confused me... doesn’t take much to do that.
Old 17-04-21, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkeegirl81 View Post
Ahhh so it could be a police or fire service whistle, I’ve tried looking up the patent but what came up was a Hudson 1916 whistle. Which confused me... doesn’t take much to do that.
Possibly the patent number was misread.

The basic Hudson 5727 patent number was from 1908 and was for the "Two piece top" (flat ring/loop) .

NB. De Courcy did not patent the "Two piece top" until 1916 (Pat.No 101303).

Does your whistle have any number on the top ? (Edit : Just read your original post , 5727-08 would indicate Hudson whistle).

Is the top ring/loop flat or concave ?

The Hudson B3 Bukta regd. one on eBay has the flat ring/loop (see photo) indicating it is post 1908 , so could actually have been sold to scouts ????

Sorry , more confusion than confirmation.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bukta.jpg (16.1 KB, 8 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 17-04-21 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 17-04-21, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Possibly the patent number was misread.

The basic Hudson 5727 patent number was from 1908 and was for the "Two piece top" (flat ring/loop) .

Does your whistle have any number on the top ? (Edit : Just read your original post , 5727-08 would indicate Hudson whistle).

Is the top ring/loop flat or concave ?

The Hudson B3 Bukta regd. one on eBay has the flat ring/loop (see photo) indicating it is post 1908 , so could actually have been sold to scouts ????

Sorry , more confusion than confirmation.

Here is another not so good photo of it I took last night... it doesn’t have a ring loop... ha! This whistle has completely thrown me. Lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F1D85887-D903-45F0-9354-AA38A2986268.jpg (70.5 KB, 12 views)
Old 17-04-21, 07:22 PM

I'm probably Whistling in the Wind:

Bukta made sporting goods, how about the whistle being made for referees?

Regards.

Brian
Old 17-04-21, 08:38 PM

Took me back to my school days in the 1960s. We definitely had rugby shirts and shorts made by Bukta

Tim
Old 17-04-21, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Took me back to my school days in the 1960s. We definitely had rugby shirts and shorts made by Bukta

Tim
I remember them well Tim, proper Rugby kit, playing in the rain on a muddy pitch and as the game progressed, the kit got heavier and heavier.

Good old days.

Regards,

Brian
Old 18-04-21, 02:07 AM

Give Martyn Gilchrist at the Whistle Shop a try.

llb@whistles.force9.co.uk
http://www.whistleshop.co.uk/index.html
Old 18-04-21, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I misread the information about the ring/loops , it actually showed that from 1908 the whistles had either a "slightly concave" , "straight edge" or a "two part" top.

Based on the info I've found and the second photo you posted :

1. The whistle was manufactured by Hudson (based on the patent number).

2. It was made from 1908 onwards (based on patent number which was registered in 1908).

3. It has the "two part" top , as opposed to fixed ring/loop ( patent number 5727-08).

NB. Hudson catalog lists various whistles they manufactured , some with their own makers mark and others under their "Acme" branding.
(eg. The Acme Referee , the Acme Boy Scout and the Acme Sea Scout).

4. Bukta sold Hudson manufactured whistles but they appear to have been 'generic' ones marked with only their own reigistered branding. (REGd BUKTA)

NB. Bukta produced sporting goods , Scout/Sea Scout uniforms and even tropical uniforms for the British Army for the First World War , so any of these groups could have bought the whistles.

The only thing that may possibly differentiate the whistles is the B2/B3 marking , could this refer to different tones/pitch available ?

PS. Info from Whistle Shop and Whistle Museum websites.

Old 18-04-21, 12:30 PM

Thumbs up

Superb research, Mike!
Old 18-04-21, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I misread the information about the ring/loops , it actually showed that from 1908 the whistles had either a "slightly concave" , "straight edge" or a "two part" top.

Based on the info I've found and the second photo you posted :

1. The whistle was manufactured by Hudson (based on the patent number).

2. It was made from 1908 onwards (based on patent number which was registered in 1908).

3. It has the "two part" top , as opposed to fixed ring/loop ( patent number 5727-08).

NB. Hudson catalog lists various whistles they manufactured , some with their own makers mark and others under their "Acme" branding.
(eg. The Acme Referee , the Acme Boy Scout and the Acme Sea Scout).

4. Bukta sold Hudson manufactured whistles but they appear to have been 'generic' ones marked with only their own reigistered branding. (REGd BUKTA)

NB. Bukta produced sporting goods , Scout/Sea Scout uniforms and even tropical uniforms for the British Army for the First World War , so any of these groups could have bought the whistles.

The only thing that may possibly differentiate the whistles is the B2/B3 marking , could this refer to different tones/pitch available ?

PS. Info from Whistle Shop and Whistle Museum websites.

Wow Mike that is awesome researching. Thank you so much. So basically it dates from 1908 too? And could have been used by any organisation as it’s a generic whistle? Fascinating didn’t think the B2 / B3 may refer to the tones of the whistles.... interesting. 😊
Old 18-04-21, 03:48 PM

Would the end of my whistle be a clue to narrowing the age of it down? as it’s not a ring loop as such on it... ��

Last edited by funkeegirl81; 18-04-21 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 18-04-21, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Give Martyn Gilchrist at the Whistle Shop a try.

llb@whistles.force9.co.uk
http://www.whistleshop.co.uk/index.html
Great thanks 😊
Old 18-04-21, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkeegirl81 View Post
Wow Mike that is awesome researching. Thank you so much. So basically it dates from 1908 too? And could have been used by any organisation as it’s a generic whistle? Fascinating didn’t think the B2 / B3 may refer to the tones of the whistles.... interesting. 😊
The patent on your whistle was registered in 1908 but I have no idea how long that model was produced , the same design could have been available for 10 or even 20 years.

Found another couple of bits of interesting information , the first from an e-mail posted on another forum (GWF) from the boss of Acme/Hudson's :

Quote:
We have often seen whistles end up in places for which they were never intentioned. For example , police whistles found in boxes at old stations ALWAYS have amongst them Scout and Guide whistles . They look similar but on close inspection are different in size and have different inscriptions.
The second deals with letters :

Quote:
At times initials consisting of a single letter or two are used as abbreviations; 'MH' for mental hospital, 'FB' for fire brigade, 'P' for prison or police, 'T' for tramway and others.
So , the B may have nothing to do with tones (I suggested that because there was a mention of "Two Note Tube Whistles ) .

Old 18-04-21, 10:25 PM

Quote:
The patent on your whistle was registered in 1908 but I have no idea how long that model was produced , the same design could have been available for 10 or even 20 years.

Found another couple of bits of interesting information , the first from an e-mail posted on another forum (GWF) from the boss of Acme/Hudson's :

The second deals with letters :

So , the B may have nothing to do with tones (I suggested that because there was a mention of "Two Note Tube Whistles ) .

Thank you Mike for looking into this... I have a 1915 Hudson trench whistle which turns out when i looked has the same patent number, although the top of the whistle is a slightly different shap which is surprising. So it was still being used then..

Could be that the B means something different than tone, just cant think for the life of me what B would stand for... its all rather fascinating... 😊