British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-01-19, 12:12 PM

Default Souvenirs of the Liberation of Florence, August 1944

Being born in Florence, I am an avid collector of any piece of militaria directly connected with the city and her liberation on August 11th, 1944. I have happened to purchase with two different sets of medals two souvenirs of the liberation of Florence, theatre made for the soldiers visiting the city to buy. The first one shows the 5th US Army sign on the reverse, whereas the second, that has come with a set of medals comprehensive of the 1939-1945 Star, Defense Medal, Italy Star and War Medal, has the 8th Army Crusader Shield, and is named to M. Duffy whose service number hints to his service in the Royal Engineers (lots of mines to be removed and Bailey bridges to build, in the summer of 1944, in Florence!).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Souvenir_Florence_A_1.jpg (22.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Souvenir_Florence_A_2.jpg (25.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Souvenir_Florence_A_3.jpg (39.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Souvenir_Liberation_Florence_B_1.jpg (29.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Souvenir_Liberation_Florence_B_2.jpg (58.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Souvenir_Liberation_Florence_B_3.jpg (56.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by loupie1961; 18-01-19 at 08:20 PM.
Old 18-01-19, 12:41 PM

Very interesting and attractive items. I had never seen them before.
Old 18-01-19, 01:43 PM

After having given a look to the pics I have realized for the FIRST time that the 5th Army souvenir fob has got the Florence Cathedral (Santa Maria del Fiore) on the recto, whereas the 8th Army on has got the Town Hall (Palazzo della Signoria). Now that's the main problem of being a militaria collector: an attention focussed almost only on military details!
Old 18-01-19, 05:39 PM

Very unusual and cool items, you must be well-chuffed especially with your particular connection with the city.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 24-01-19, 11:54 AM

I wonder how many various badges were issued for Florence alone ... it could be a real challenge trying to add more, but it would be great to see any new additions as your collection grows.
Mike
Old 29-01-21, 03:20 PM

Default Commemorative/Propaganda Medals: Rome and Florence

I have managed to find another medal commemorative of the liberation of Florence. It looks like they came in a series entitled "Freedom, Democracy, Prosperity" (verso), comprehensive of a medal for the liberation of Rome ("In the Fight for Liberty the Allies Saved Rome") and the other one for the liberation of Florence ("Florence Cradle of the Arts Freed by the Allies"). The two medals are propaganda items rather the commemorative, mainly because the two cities were declared "open" and evacuated by the Germans before the arrival of the 5th Army.
Old 29-01-21, 03:38 PM

Very neat items, and extra special with your connection.

My father flew in that theater, but the only souvenir like that he brought back was one of the "Little Bells from Capri". Capri was an R&R location.

Terry
Old 29-01-21, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post

My father flew in that theater, but the only souvenir like that he brought back was one of the "Little Bells from Capri". Capri was an R&R location.

Terry
I have always wondered how such commemorative or propaganda mementos would have been issued. Some theatre made souvenirs were obviously conceived by local entrepreneurs for the benefit of the Allied troops on leave (bracelets, rings and so on), but this kind of medals, as well as the 5th US or 8th Army fobs bore the marks of some kind of officialdom, so probably were somehow approved by the Allied Headquarters...
Old 29-01-21, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post

Terry
Bells or Belles Terry?
Old 29-01-21, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
I have always wondered how such commemorative or propaganda mementos would have been issued. Some theatre made souvenirs were obviously conceived by local entrepreneurs for the benefit of the Allied troops on leave (bracelets, rings and so on), but this kind of medals, as well as the 5th US or 8th Army fobs bore the marks of some kind of officialdom, so probably were somehow approved by the Allied Headquarters...
Whatever they were they are interesting items.

Chris