British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-01-19, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Assuming that the particular example concerned has retained it's original chinstrap.
Indeed, mine does not have its wartime chinstrap.

Jerry
Old 20-01-19, 09:00 AM

Morning Jerry,
Does it matter, I don't think it does, it sounds to me that you have a very nice helmet.
Your helmet would have had one originally, if your helmet has been used post war, it is only to be expected, I would certainly not be unhappy with it.
If you were, then simply replace it, with an original chin strap, doubtless an easy thing to do, at one of the larger fairs/markets down south or in France or Holland, but, perhaps, sadly not a cheap option these days.
It would not bother me, it is part of that particular helmet and it's history, it is certainly better than having a helmet that's been deliberately ruined by an idiot.
Regards Frank
Old 20-01-19, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrown View Post
Another way to authenticate a HSAT mark II is to look at the chin strap buckle attachment. WW2 chin straps have another layer of fabric applied to the turned over cut edge as in the attached photo top example (source Fisher & Lock)
Thank you for the pointer to identify wartime chinstraps! I am glad to be able to say that my 1944 BMB made HSAT does indeed have the additional layer of fabric (as attached). My 1956 CCL and the other CCL do not.

Might there also be any date-related variation in the shape and blackening (or not) of the metal buckles and ends? My 1944 BMB and 1956 CCL have diagonal corners to the buckles fixing to the shell, the other does not (also see attached pics of these buckles for the 3 HSATs) . Whereas the buckles on the 1944 BMB and the other are well blackened, but on 1956 CCL the brass is visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190120_102936.jpg (52.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190120_102945.jpg (54.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190120_103029.jpg (52.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190120_103329.jpg (56.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190120_103451.jpg (63.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 20-01-19, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSA View Post
Might there also be any date-related variation in the shape and blackening (or not) of the metal buckles and ends? My 1944 BMB and 1956 CCL have diagonal corners to the buckles fixing to the shell, the other does not (also see attached pics of these buckles for the 3 HSATs) . Whereas the buckles on the 1944 BMB and the other are well blackened, but on 1956 CCL the brass is visible.
It is widely accepted that BMB was the only wartime producer of HSAT liners. CCL and CWL were used for the post war examples. HSAT mark 2 were in use for an exceptionally long period of time up to the mid 80s. Bits and pieces of various liners were inevitably interchanged amongst the helmets in service.
As for the buckles, the larger version with diagonal corners are, I think predominantly found on the HSAT made by BMB (wartime version). I have the other type of buckles on my 1955 CCL and they aren't blackened.
I don't know if any type of buckles was specifically painted or not.