British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-08-16, 07:57 PM

Default "By your badge men shall know you"

On 23rd Sept 1954 at Lamjung Camp - Major General L.E.C.Perowne CB CBE presented the new Regimental Cap badge to the newly formed GURKHA ROYAL SIGNALS. This date was henceforth adopted as the regimental birthday and each year his address is read out to all members of the Regt present.

It's a fantastic speech and I reproduce some of it below for your interest - but it did occur to me that it could be possibly unique in terms of "the birth of a cap badge" but I'd be really interested to hear other examples if there are any.

"You are young in history, but old in tradition and rich in inheritance. In your new badge the Winged Mercury" of the old established Signal Service of Her Majesty's Army is joined together with the crossed kukris, symbolic of the martial traditions of Nepal; and above all is set the Crown which is the symbol of our united loyalty to the Queen. So henceforth, you will bear your heads three times in honour; and will carry in your hearts a three fold pride.

By your badge men shall know you. By your loyalty, by your behaviour and by your technical skill, they will judge you as men, and measure your efficiency as soldiers"

Incidentally the first cap badges were made by the jewellers Garrards in London and paid for by the British officers.